AA NANO UV Sterilizer 9W

Marinesavy

• SRC Member
Depends how big ur tank is, UV is just like skimmer. The more oversize u buy the better. UV turn on at night more often than day cos ich loves attacking fishes in the night from my observation.

Excuse me ... the larger the wattage for a UV unit doesn't mean it is better for the tank and UV doesn't have any preference to "kill" parasites in the evening than during the day. :D

UV only targets free-floating micro-organisms and not those which attached to your fish, substrate, liverocks or corals. Therefore for the best performance, UV sterilizers should be placed after your biological or mechanical filtration system and on 24x7.

Also, adhere to the vendor's recommended pump flowrate as it ensure that the correct amount of exposure time is available to kill the parasites passing thru it and don't switch off the UV unit. ;)

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

Hi thanks for the advise. I have a JBJ 24g cube, from what the manual said, AA 12V UV is good up to 200L salt and fresh water aquarium. I started to use it tonight... and it seem to me the flowrater is slow. I placed the UV in my IOS

Here is where i put it.

First Compartment | Second Compartment | Third Compartment

Sponge Pump to Chiller Pump to rotating dozzle

Purigen Rowaphos AA UV

Red Biohome

• SRC Member

Excuse me ... the larger the wattage for a UV unit doesn't mean it is better for the tank and UV doesn't have any preference to "kill" parasites in the evening than during the day. :D

UV only targets free-floating micro-organisms and not those which attached to your fish, substrate, liverocks or corals. Therefore for the best performance, UV sterilizers should be placed after your biological or mechanical filtration system and on 24x7.

Also, adhere to the vendor's recommended pump flowrate as it ensure that the correct amount of exposure time is available to kill the parasites passing thru it and don't switch off the UV unit. ;)

Excuse me the bigger the wattage means the more flow u can allow into the UV means u treat more gallons of water per hr means ur tank gets treatment faster. If u have an undersized UV the germs/bacteria/diseases will likely multiply faster than the undersized UV can cope therefore defeats the purpose of running a UV.

I didnt say UV treats better in the night, i said Ich attacks more at night meaning they will free float more during the night than day thats why i suggested turning on only in the night. Turning on UV 24/7 will kill off a lot of the beneficiery bacteria in the long run.

Anyway no pun intended i just share watever i know with fellow reefers. Cheers~

• SRC Member
Hi thanks for the advise. I have a JBJ 24g cube, from what the manual said, AA 12V UV is good up to 200L salt and fresh water aquarium. I started to use it tonight... and it seem to me the flowrater is slow. I placed the UV in my IOS

Here is where i put it.

First Compartment | Second Compartment | Third Compartment

Sponge Pump to Chiller Pump to rotating dozzle

Purigen Rowaphos AA UV

Red Biohome

Bro .. I have no experience with the UV you're having and if you used the recommended flowrate by the vendor then you are in a pretty good shape.

But that doesn't mean that your tank is 100% parasitic free but 90% is a safe number. ;)

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

Choosing the Right UV Sterilizer is important as each vendor's unit is designed with the recommended flowrate associate with the UV lamp wattage irrespective whether it is the inline or spiral designs available today.

Since UV only targets free-floating micro-organism, not those attached to your fish, substrate, or corals and this is where the recommended flowrate based on the manufacturer's recommendatino is critical to "killing" those nuisances.

Reason being that it ensures the UV Sterilizer (irrespective of the wattage) is targetting micro-organsism and has the correct amount of exposure time to kill the nuisance as they pass thru the light. ie the longer they're are exposed to the UV light .. they're zapped. :P

Therefore it is utmost important that you changed the tube after 8000 hrs of continual usage or as recommended by the manufacturer. :D

Another myth is that UV will "kill" the good bacteria in the long run but would like to comment that this so called good bacteria (Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter) are not free-swimming bacteria therefore will not come in contact with the U.V. They attach themselves to filtration media, gravel, the sides of the aquarium, etc.

The only way U.V. could effect the establishment of nitrifying bacteria is if a seed bacteria product, commercially available, is added to the water. In this case it would be advisable to turn off the U.V. until the free-floating, nitrifying bacteria has had a chance to get a foothold.

Happy Fish Keeping ..

aquatronica7na.gif

How You Make Them Feel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...