Mushroom Fading in Colour

nutx

• SRC Member

Hi,

My is a new tank about 1.5mths.

Bought a few mushroom, after 3 weeks, and a few other corals last week.

All corals enter my tank in separate days.

Water parameter is as follows:

NO2 <0.1mg/l

NO3 - 12.5mg/l

NH3/4 - <0.1mg/l

PH -8-8.5

KH 8-9KH

Temp - 27-28 (using fan)

lights - 1x6500K 150W MH, 2x36W PL (half 10000K and half Actinic Blue)

2 greenish mushroom is fading into 'pure' brown.

Is the water problem or lights problem?

How to make it recover?

or shall I longbang into someone mature tank first for the mushroom to recover while I improve the water quality? :idea:

I also have 2 Ricordeas didn't open since last Thurs! At least one has lay flat and seems to spread a bit, the other one still curl! :(

:thanks:

I am not sure if itis ur NO2 the reason . But there might be a chance , whereby the placement of ur frag are in a area where current is too strong for them.

Woonming do you think that he might have place the mushy too high and close to the MH thus cause them to be like this

• SRC Member

Hi,

My mushroom is right at the end on the other side of the tank, where there is no powerhead direct current. But the frag can still wave and dance a bit.

As for direct or indirect lights.....the one that totally fade off, is at corner, hence, no direct MH ray. Only got the 2x36W PL.

A newer one that still have the green colour is fading away, and this is at the center, slightly higher, with direct MH ray.

On the NO2 level, how to measure 0 mg/l, as the indicator last reading is <0.1mg/l ?

Some LFS ask me to increase the KH, and calcium level, would this be useful at this moment?

• SRC Member

if you think lighting or current is the problem..

move it and see if the mushies are affected.

do you have test kits for CA and KH?

only increase them to the appropriate level...

some LFS will say anything to get you to buy stuff...

• SRC Member
Hi,

My mushroom is right at the end on the other side of the tank, where there is no powerhead direct current. But the frag can still wave and dance a bit.

As for direct or indirect lights.....the one that totally fade off, is at corner, hence, no direct MH ray. Only got the 2x36W PL.

A newer one that still have the green colour is fading away, and this is at the center, slightly higher, with direct MH ray.

On the NO2 level, how to measure 0 mg/l, as the indicator last reading is <0.1mg/l ?

Some LFS ask me to increase the KH, and calcium level, would this be useful at this moment?

Kh level yes :) Ca level i dont think it will affect so much.

Do u mean the mushrooms is losing the colour ? or turn white...

• SRC Member

i think mushroom dun need strong lighting...

used to put 1 rock full of mushroom under MH...color not so good....when put somewhere not directly under the MH..it's color up again....try it...may helps

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

Quite true....I tried putting my hairy mushrooms and yumas under direct MH...it bleaches...interesting...I used to think coral bleach when under insufficient lighting... <_<