a custom made 5ft tank

ReDDeviLs

• SRC Supporter

Hi,i have a few questions hope experts here would help to ans thankx,

1stly,when purchase a 5ft by 2 by 2ft custom made fish tank with sump.But what are the properties we should look for?

i know the thickness of the tank shld be 10-12mm thick?correct me if im wrong,thx

anymore to look for?i heard some shop owner talking abt the quality of the glass,like tempered glass.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Hi,i have a few questions hope experts here would help to ans thankx,

1stly,when purchase a 5ft by 2 by 2ft custom made fish tank with sump.But what are the properties we should look for?

i know the thickness of the tank shld be 10-12mm thick?correct me if im wrong,thx

anymore to look for?i heard some shop owner talking abt the quality of the glass,like tempered glass.

for a tank that size, weight factor will play a highly important function. 12mm will be the minimum width for it, as anything less will be flirting with danger *I may be wrong*

because of the weight factor involved in the massively huge tank, its supports aka the cabinet will have to be made of sturdy wood as well. check that all the beams are made from solid unrecycled and uncompressed wood. not running them down but generally recycled wood is normally weaker in terms of structure. then again I may be wrong. (=

the long of the short of it is that the tank must be secured, and it must be able to cope with the tremendous load/strain placed onto the surface of the tank's glass by the water/live rocks and not to mention the sand bed *if you do intend to include one*

mind sharing me where you got your quotation for your tank? for I'm also thinking of custom making a 4 by 2 by 2.5 for myself. sourcing around for quotations at this very present moment. (=

• SRC Member

Great link! Wish I had seen it before making my tank. Should be within specs but haven't (and not sure I want to :P ) done the calculations yet.

I made my tank with 12 mm glass (5.5 ft with 0.5 ft overflow compartment so essentially a 5 ft) all round. Not sure why I did it but had the 3 viewing panes tempered and heat-soaked as well - probably an unecessary expense and also controversial. At that time, thought tempered should be stronger = better.

Attached is a pic of the tank. Workmanship quite OK and this guy specializes in large tanks. Good service and knows what he is doing. would be advantageous if you speak mandarin or hokkien well - doesn't speak english well and I had some problems getting some ideas across esp over the phone! PM me if you want his contact.

post-17-1066278262.jpg

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Supporter

for a tank that size, weight factor will play a highly important function. 12mm will be the minimum width for it, as anything less will be flirting with danger *I may be wrong*

because of the weight factor involved in the massively huge tank, its supports aka the cabinet will have to be made of sturdy wood as well. check that all the beams are made from solid unrecycled and uncompressed wood. not running them down but generally recycled wood is normally weaker in terms of structure. then again I may be wrong. (=

the long of the short of it is that the tank must be secured, and it must be able to cope with the tremendous load/strain placed onto the surface of the tank's glass by the water/live rocks and not to mention the sand bed *if you do intend to include one*

mind sharing me where you got your quotation for your tank? for I'm also thinking of custom making a 4 by 2 by 2.5 for myself. sourcing around for quotations at this very present moment. (=

ok sure,i'll start to hunt arnd during the wkends.. will let ya know abt pricing.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Supporter
Great link! Wish I had seen it before making my tank. Should be within specs but haven't (and not sure I want to :P ) done the calculations yet.

I made my tank with 12 mm glass (5.5 ft with 0.5 ft overflow compartment so essentially a 5 ft) all round. Not sure why I did it but had the 3 viewing panes tempered and heat-soaked as well - probably an unecessary expense and also controversial. At that time, thought tempered should be stronger = better.

Attached is a pic of the tank. Workmanship quite OK and this guy specializes in large tanks. Good service and knows what he is doing. would be advantageous if you speak mandarin or hokkien well - doesn't speak english well and I had some problems getting some ideas across esp over the phone! PM me if you want his contact.

hey there,u mind giving me the address to this guy? thnkx :D

thx jc85 for the link too! :D

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed