a leech on my fish body

• SRC Member

You should remove as soon as you notice it attach to the fish. It can be removed easily with use of pincer. The problem would lie in getting the fish out of the tank but in your case, your fish is inactive so that pretty easy. Better to remove it quick, else it will suck the life out of your fish…

• SRC Member

It's not a water flea.

It's a parasitic isopod(fish louse). A positive nightmare. They sometimes hide in rock/sandbed in the day and suck blood at night, the little vampires. Will jump off your fish too.

Pray that there isn't a breeding female in your rock.

There are a number of ways to trap them, but i can't think of any efficient ones except catching your fish out to pull them off. They can survive for at least a couple of months hidden in the rock without fish to feed on i think.

• SRC Supporter

does it look like very small tiny sea slugs? i have alot of them white in colour,but in the filter comparement that fish cant go in.wonder wat are they?they appear to me like shell-less snails too.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
Looks like this? Then its like what hongqixian had mention, isopod.

Remove like what other mention, removw fish then remove the isopod with pincer!!

:peace:

Yes that's the kind. But the pictured louse is a bit on the large side for the ones sneaking around in the rock. They do come in all sizes though.

Remove with a blunt headed pair of pincers and be careful. You don't want to end up skewering your fish.

Fish hiding in the rock tend to be easier targets for fish lice. It's easier to climb on and suck blood