Quarantine Tanks

HIi,

I just like to know if our members actually do quarantine their fish before putting them into a display tank. Still not sure what a quarantine tank is, besides one dedicated for new fish. How long must they stay in there? Must it be as good as the display tank in terms of aeration, filtration, good parameters?

From the forum, I think many are like me, on a budget so how can have quarantine tank? Honestly, do we quarantine new fish or do we cross our fingers and drop them into the display tank? It is a very disciplined (but correct) thing to do as it is tempting to view them like a new DVD movie.

I also heard that a 1-3 mins fresh water dip would kill parasites and you can just put them into the display tank after that treatment. How true is that?

I want to do the right thing but may not afford to maintain another tank.

Appreciate your views and opinions

HIi,

I just like to know if our members actually do quarantine their fish before putting them into a display tank. Still not sure what a quarantine tank is, besides one dedicated for new fish. How long must they stay in there? Must it be as good as the display tank in terms of aeration, filtration, good parameters?

I do have a quarantine tank for new fish and sick fish. You can dose medication and prevent diseases from spreading. How long? It depends. If it's eating well and no sign of itch or other sickness, i'll transfer it to main tank as soon as 1 week.

Read that you just need a hang-on filter and some rocks for them to hide. Tank need to be cycled, probably a damsel to sustain the biological filter.

Unfortunately, many of my fish don't make it in quarantine. Probably I'm keeping big fish (mostly > 4") and the quarantine tank is only 2 ft. Thinking of adding a 2 ft refugium to increase the total volume.

• SRC Member

I actually had my new chromis in my QT now. QT has a simple filter and some pvc for the fish to hide. I had added a LR to sustain the bio-filter. Most people will say that LR is not needed/recommended because if use copper for medication will kill the LR. <_<

Read that most disease will take ard 10 - 14 days to surface, some even a month. Any expert can comment?

I also can foresee the >4" problem as I intend to get only a 2 footer. The setup for a QT doesn't seem expensive to me now, but I won't get a 3 footer (space constraints).

Anyone with comments on the fresh water dip method? Maybe not a good question to ask as no one would admit to it and get flamed.

In any case, always is a good idea to have a spare tank as it can double up as a hospital / quarantine tank.

I'll admit to taking a gamble before. Went to an infamous LFS with bad husbandry skills, watched many die from time to time and the ones left after 2 weeks, really strong. That's the story of my majestic angel, still healthy after a week of purchase. May not be luck again next time and will get my QT up soon!