Changing to tropical tank

seamonkee

• SRC Member

can keep nana and mini nana.... they very low maintanance....

planted tank dun need high flow normally a planted tank will only have little or no turbulant on the water surface so you can imagine how slow the flow is... i dun think will get suck into the overflow....

agree with big ben.... but i dare to say there are exception... as mine don't get frighten that easily... and bro... 12 of them in 3feet tank??? all juvenile ar?? if not with your tank heavily planted how they swim sia??

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

planted tank dun need high flow normally a planted tank will only have little or no turbulant on the water surface so you can imagine how slow the flow is... i dun think will get suck into the overflow....

agree with big ben.... but i dare to say there are exception... as mine don't get frighten that easily... and bro... 12 of them in 3feet tank??? all juvenile ar?? if not with your tank heavily planted how they swim sia??

oh haha all mid sizes... my tank plants are different from the ones u guys use... mine mostly are pretty "long plants" with either slim or large leaves... so ya they can dart right through the plants to the back of the tank. there is only 1 or 2 drift wood in it.

like bro cjh has said, yes they are exception. depends on where u got your discus from. if u got it from normal freshwater fish shops, the fishes maybe for quite awhile, so they are kinda used to the usual movement. if u got your discus from breeders, like the ones i used to have, the only humans that the discus may have seen is me and the previous owner.. so they will be alittle more timid.

but off course getting discus from breeders u will have more fishes too choose from :lol:

• SRC Member

Problem is I have a high flow return... mpphh... unless I change the return pump to a lesser flow rate one?

• SRC Member

oh haha all mid sizes... my tank plants are different from the ones u guys use... mine mostly are pretty "long plants" with either slim or large leaves... so ya they can dart right through the plants to the back of the tank. there is only 1 or 2 drift wood in it.

like bro cjh has said, yes they are exception. depends on where u got your discus from. if u got it from normal freshwater fish shops, the fishes maybe for quite awhile, so they are kinda used to the usual movement. if u got your discus from breeders, like the ones i used to have, the only humans that the discus may have seen is me and the previous owner.. so they will be alittle more timid.

but off course getting discus from breeders u will have more fishes too choose from :lol:

oooo.... lol....

yup... agree with you.... get from breeder... and will also be cheaper.. lol...

i got my discus for SGD$4 only... lol....

bro seamonkee.... i agree with bro BFG but for me i will chg to a lower flow rate pump like what bro weisheng said... and you can keep your tank cooler...

• SRC Member

One more question concerning lighting...

I have two sets of Dymax OB T5 Lights (5 feet)... Currently comes with 12000k lights which was for my FOWLR tank previously.... See link below...

Dymax OB Lights

I know 12000k is the wrong spectrum of light for use with planted tanks... Any possibilty of modifying this for use? A bit wasted to buy a whole new light hood and throw these away... I do a search for Dymax products but it seems there's no T5 range for planted tank use? or is there? Can I use another brand's T5s for use with the Dymax hood? Or do I need to change ballast or what? :huh:

I planning for low tech planted tank... no CO2... easy maintenance ferns like nanas, Java ferns, tenellus and stuff...

Thanks bros. :D

• SRC Member
One more question concerning lighting...

I have two sets of Dymax OB T5 Lights (5 feet)... Currently comes with 12000k lights which was for my FOWLR tank previously....  See link below...

Dymax OB Lights

I know 12000k is the wrong spectrum of light for use with planted tanks...  Any possibilty of modifying this for use?  A bit wasted to buy a whole new light hood and throw these away...  I do a search for Dymax products but it seems there's no T5 range for planted tank use? or is there?  Can I use another brand's T5s for use with the Dymax hood?  Or do I need to change ballast or what?  :huh:

I planning for low tech planted tank... no CO2... easy maintenance ferns like nanas, Java ferns, tenellus and stuff...

Thanks bros. :D

how high is your tank???

is it normal output?? 2X20W and 2X30W per set...

if you want can just chg the tubes....

my uncle using 2X150W 12k and 2Xflorescent tube 6k(i think cos look like normal light yellow) for his tank also...

btw heres a post in other forum which you can take a look at.....

low light no CO2 tank

• SRC Member

My tank is 2.25ft high....

Specifically, the light tubes are 22w x2 and 18w x2 in one light hood... All 12k white... How do I tell if it is HO or normal? :huh:

I'm totally nuts when it comes to lighting... :lol:

• SRC Member

Got some bigger rocks to accentuate and add gradient...

Hmmpphh... the actual thing looks nicer than the pix... my wife says actually without plants look quite good liao... I'm thinking to leave it like this too... and add some altum angels... cool... :lol:

I'm still contemplating whether to throw in some nanas and java ferns... oh well, might as well... hehe...

post-11-1159796974.jpg

• SRC Member
Got some bigger rocks to accentuate and add gradient...

Hmmpphh... the actual thing looks nicer than the pix... my wife says actually without plants look quite good liao... I'm thinking to leave it like this too... and add some altum angels... cool... :lol:

I'm still contemplating whether to throw in some nanas and java ferns... oh well, might as well... hehe...

nice... it all depends on what kind of scaping you like.... plants or without plants...

the scaping looks nice but plants can help you to break the shape and make it more natural looking... :peace::peace:

• SRC Member
My tank is 2.25ft high....

Specifically, the light tubes are 22w x2 and 18w x2 in one light hood... All 12k white... How do I tell if it is HO or normal? :huh:

I'm totally nuts when it comes to lighting... :lol:

To differentiate a NO and a HO is by the wattage used. HO 5ft T5 bulb is 80w.

• SRC Member

haha i think the tank look better with the larger rocks. it also look "cool" without plants :lol:

adding plants isnt a bad idea too, but i think u have to take extra care of the plants that are gonna be added, wrong plants might juz spoil the image all together <_<

• SRC Member
haha i think the tank look better with the larger rocks. it also look "cool" without plants :lol:

adding plants isnt a bad idea too, but i think u have to take extra care of the plants that are gonna be added, wrong plants might juz spoil the image all together <_<

I doubt I can add plants without changing my light set... :unsure:

My light set is not even HO.... total add up only 160watts... not even pass the 2watts/gallon recommendation for low tech plants... sianz... my tank total gallon is 150.... :(

So if I change to the right kevin (now its 12000k spectrum) to those for planted tanks, the wattage also not enough... that means I gotta change the whole light set... = $$$$$$ :blink:

Wat's the recommendation? I was thinking throw in some nanas try try first.. hehe...

• SRC Member

I doubt I can add plants without changing my light set... :unsure:

My light set is not even HO.... total add up only 160watts... not even pass the 2watts/gallon recommendation for low tech plants... sianz... my tank total gallon is 150.... :(

So if I change to the right kevin (now its 12000k spectrum) to those for planted tanks, the wattage also not enough... that means I gotta change the whole light set... = $$$$$$ :blink:

Wat's the recommendation? I was thinking throw in some nanas try try first.. hehe...

i am not sure about lightings and plants thought.. cause last time i has pretty hardy plants.. dont really knoe watz the name by they survived on 2 fl blubs. my bro has a planted tank, no very proffesional but its on 35 watt PL and its a 2 ft tank. he has some java ferns and some other plants which i dont knoe the name.

he isnt using any high tech equipment juz a basic internal filter thats all. no CO2 or anything fancy

here is a old pic, dont have the new one. not very impressive though.

post-11-1159854158.jpg

• SRC Member

Just bought this fertiliser... hehe... that means I gotta drain my tank and re-lay the substrate... hehe...

Decided to go for nanas and java ferns... low tech stuff...

Is this brand good? Cost me $100 :blink: bo bian... five foot tank... so its a big tub I bought... :D

Bodengrund_DEPONIT_20u._20Kies_STUG_Eimer_DeponitMix120