Why does my electricity trip randomly?

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Thankfully this isn't happening in my home (where my tank is) but in my studio. For some reason I keep getting power trips randomly, just doing nothing suddenly trip, when I flip back the mains everything goes back to normal... then maybe a while later or the next day, sometimes 1 week later trip again.

I don't get it, if it was a faulty appliance it would always trip right?

Help!

Erv.

Is it the outgoing breaker or ELCB or both trips?

coz, if it's the ELCB then u may encounter a earth leakage.

whereas, it is suspected to be a overloading of your equipments which causes the outgoing breaker to trip.

reminder: do not change the breaker to a higher rating...as the cables may not be able to carry the higher load which could heat up the cables and burnt.

Get an electrician to sought for advise.

• SRC Member
Is it the outgoing breaker or ELCB or both trips?

coz, if it's the ELCB then u may encounter a earth leakage.

whereas, it is suspected to be a overloading of your equipments which causes the outgoing breaker to trip.

reminder: do not change the breaker to a higher rating...as the cables may not be able to carry the higher load which could heat up the cables and burnt.

Get an electrician to sought for advise.

It's the outgoing one (single stand alone breaker right?) not the ones in the ELCB box that's tripping..

I'm getting an electrician to come in next week... so most likely what will he change? Coz I don want to get chopped by the electrician...

Thanks!

Ervine

• SRC Member

It's the outgoing one (single stand alone breaker right?) not the ones in the ELCB box that's tripping..

I'm getting an electrician to come in next week... so most likely what will he change? Coz I don want to get chopped by the electrician...

Thanks!

Ervine

My god;

I think u sure kanna charge service charge but get advice that you overload a certain power socket.... The electrical guy probably will not change anything for u.... I hope I'm wrong...

Anyway thats how they make a living...

Most MCB is 6A so they might change to a higher rating, but not many does that unless you have some high current equipment that u know...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

so it is the single outgoing one.

For powerpoints in HDB estates, the standard MCB single poles are either 20A or 32A which is for ring circuit.

i think for your case, it is either a overload trip or MCB faulty which is seldom.

Ask the electrician to clamp the outgoing circuit and check the loading.

cheers

• SRC Member

Okay thanks for the help bros, as suspected it was an overloading...

Electrician ran some current clamping tests here and there, swapped out the breaker for a higher rated one and charged me $80... I think it's quite reasonable?

Anyway thanks for the advice, hopefully won't trip anymore...