Addition of LR

soggy

• SRC Member

hrmm. i intend to get more LR and i want to cure it first before adding it to my current tank. thing is, i don't have a spare tank. the only thing i can think of which i can put these rocks in is a pail. so there's that, but do i need any form or filteration or what not? please advise. thanks.

You need to place in moving water so that circulation is good. Over time, a lot of detritus will drop to the bottom of the tank and hopefully any dead & dying organisms will also fall off (if you haven't manually scrubbed them off first).

The water should be skimmed to remove as much dissolved nutrients from the water as possible. Water changes may be needed if the water is foul-smelling.

Once your rock smells nice like the sea... you can put it in your tank... if it smells like stuff are still rotting on it... you have to cure it longer.

• SRC Member

moving water you say? so an airstone is good enough? roughly how long will it take for the rocks to smell nice like the sea? da*n it, i knew i should have bought more rocks. anyways, back to business. i guess i'll do what you've said, thanks for the info.

Nope.... as in powerhead-driven. :)

Airstone does not move water in a big tub or tank! :D

You don't your water to turn stale and oxygen levels to drop or your liverock will turn bad and smell worse!

The curing process is to keep what can be saved and let what is rotting/dying be removed without affecting the LR drastically.

• SRC Member

ah yes. i meant powerhead driven airstone. thanks alot AT. i've learnt much. and btw, if you could and if it's not too much to ask, could you advise on if i should keep anemones with the lights i'm using? 3 * 36W 10000k PL.

• SRC Member

i was wondering when curing the LR, do u guys use the same salinity level as ur tank?

or lower or higher?

for my case, i use the same SG as my tank.

does lowering or pushing higher SG helps to kill unwanted pest or parasites on the LR and at the same time prevents ur LR becoming dead rock..

thanks in advance for the feedback

;)

Better to use same SG.

If you use hyposalinity on your liverock, a lot of inverts like pods, worms will not do well... and may even potentially hurt your LR bacteria.

Hyposalinity is best done in an empty tank with fish inside for treatment for external parasites.