basic tank

bukitimah

Hi, after 3 months and many helps from bros here, I am putting up my very basic tank for comments. Hope I will continue to love this hobby and over time improve on it.

My purpose is to show those undecided on SW tank that you don't have to spend a fortune to start one if your expectations are not beyond what you see here. However, the opportunity to be one of the best of its kind is unlimited. It just need more time.

Of course the fastest way is to engage a pro to do a set up for you. You won't get the joy and really understand what SW tank is all about. :rolleyes:

post-69-1160880730.jpg

• SRC Member

The filter system you're using looks like the cheap freshwater kind - am I right? They give off a ton of heat and splash a lot - see your bubbles? Scary salt creep all over the place. I doubt the anemone will last long at that kind of temperature.

Your zoos don't look like they're opening well too - compare to other peoples' photos? Damsels can more or less take anything though so those should be fine.

It's not about spending a fortune or not, and really, it's much more fun learning from the pros how to set up a tank well rather than see many animals die. It's painful to wake up one day and find that your anemone has died and turned the tank brown and smelly and most of the livestock is dead as a result - trust me, I learnt it the hard way :P

Most people end up upgrading their equipment anyway. Not to be a wet blanket, but it really makes life much easier to have a decent hang-on skimmer and filters that don't splash.

Like henry from marinelife says, reef on! but be prepared to spend a bit to get good essential equipment like a skimmer and some PL lights - it really makes things much easier than trying to stinge.

hongqixian, why would overflow system give lots of heat leh? I guide the water return with an elbow to create flow on the surface thus no splashing. Whilst the bubble I can eliminate them but thaught a little is good?

Would you think the cannister filter system is a better option? I was told this overhead filter is very effective in keeping the water clear. So far this is very true for my case.

I did have a skimmer but took it out because it took too much space in the tank due to the pump. Decided I am ok with changing water more frequently. The anemone is with me for more than a month and it is doing fine and eating damn well. Honestly, I think it is very hardy because I have shifted him around to accommodate the new corals. Same goes to the mushroom.

I ust got the corals over the weekend and they are in this condition when I bought them from a pal here. He kept them in chilled water temp. My room temp is fairly constant and well ventilated. I am expecting the water temp should not exceed 30. Most tropical reef water should be in that temp range right?

Yes please continue with advice while I update you guys.

• SRC Member

With only zooz and mushies, I think ur system is fine, but I dont think u r ready for sps or some LPS which need lower temp. B)

Just be careful of ur anemone, if u see anything not right, be prepare to throw it away, else might cause a big disaster.

Hope I'm not scaring u!! :P

• SRC Member

I'm not saying that overflow systems in general give off lots of heat - I'm just wondering if you're using the black rectangular overhead filters usually meant for freshwater because the pumps they use tend to give off a lot of heat imo.

Bubbles don't harm your livestock but they'll cause a lot of salt spray onto your lights and surrounding area - your lights might rust more easily. Just a point to note. I don't like the overhead box system because the return part draws quite a lot of air with it, causing more bubbling. It's really up to you. Cannisters are a decent option but it's just a matter of different methods of mechanical filtration anyway. Frequent water changes instead of skimming is okay as long as you don't mind the hassle.

Most people without chillers maintain their tanks at around 27-28 deg Celsius with fans. That's good to hear about the anemone. But you might still need more light because one month is really still a bit too early to tell. Mushrooms don't mind higher temps so they're fine.

Your livestock is well chosen - just be cautious with the anemone like dlee said.

Hi, thanks for the feedback and advice. I am monitoring it very closely :D because it is sitting right in the middle of my living hall and I just need to walk past it. hahaha

BTW, how do you know if the green bubble tip anemone is dying? Mine is light green and has clear tube with bubble tips. I guess that is why they got their name?

No intention to add anymore fishes if not reduce. May add corals or mushrooms.

• SRC Member

hahaha icic!

go read this thread: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...20anemone&st=15

anyway a good healthy bubble-tip anemone (yours looks like a BTA?) would be something like andtsg's bubble tip post-72-1151652476.jpg

see the lovely rich brown it is? rich opaque green/ brown/ red is good, but translucent is not. the whitish-brown part of that bubble-tip is opaque, not translucent/clear.

clear is not a very good sign, but gaping mouth, over-swelling (sometimes healthy ones do this) or complete deflation for more than a few days (healthy ones can deflate, but usually not for extended periods) and vomiting of intestines are bad bad bad signs - be prepared to take it out and dump it if so. You can tell dead corals or anemones by the smell - healthy live corals smell just a bit fishy, like seawater. Dead ones smell like rotting fish.

Hmmmm, from your description, my anemone seem to meet expectation (75 marks) so I guess he is OK. Oh yest this is a BTA.

The corals was purchased in this condition, yet to open fully. It is the 3rd day with me and I do see slight improvement over the first day (overcome the initial shock due to the transfer?).

Intend to do some water change this weekend and hope the water condition can improve and thus the zoo would fair better.

A quick check, maybe some mechanical engineer can advise. If I have two pumps linked series together, would it damage the slower pump? That is, if I have a 800 /hr flow rate pump pushing water thro' a 400 l/hr pump. Would the result flow be better or the 400 l/hr pump burn out? Should I just disconnect the smaller pump?

Regards

• SRC Member

disconnect the slower pump - it will limit the rate of water flow through both and there will be irregular flow.

yea do a water change, and like for everything in this hobby, take it slow. Try not to add more corals until you find that your current ones are doing well.

all the best!

I am intending to use a 200 gal/hr pump to pump water thro' my weipro 2012 skimmer. The out put to the external canister filter and then back into the to surface of the tank using an elbow.

How does the above sound? would the 200 gal/hr pump be able to push thro the skimmer and the filter?