From planted tank to marine tank

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I am planning to change my planted tank 2ft x 1ft x 1ft thickness 5mm to a marine tank.

Do you guys think that the 5mm thickness is enough to withstand the pressure of saltwater? I will not rest any liverocks against the glass and will be adding live sand at the base.

And I will be using 2 canister filters with combine flow rate of 1500 l/h, is it enough just for clams and yumas or mushies?

And what will be the required medias in the filter?

Planning to put coral chips, biohome, filter wool, carbon.

Was wondering if the coral chips will rise the Kh to a very high level?

I plan not to use any skimmers, will it work if I am planning to have very low bioload cos rearing solely frogfishs only. Just weekly water changes.

Any advise is greatly appericated. Thks.

• SRC Member

hi advance welcome u into the marine life.. let me ans what i know from your question..

Do you guys think that the 5mm thickness is enough to withstand the pressure of saltwater? I will not rest any liverocks against the glass and will be adding live sand at the base.

Yes 5mm is enough for your 2ft tank just like my holding tank now.. just make sure u dun drop your live rock or bang it on the wall then its fine..

And I will be using 2 canister filters with combine flow rate of 1500 l/h, is it enough just for clams and yumas or mushies?

i think 1 canister is more then enough le..

And what will be the required medias in the filter?

Planning to put coral chips, biohome, filter wool, carbon.

Was wondering if the coral chips will rise the Kh to a very high level?

if u are able to stuff all this things in thats the best..

I plan not to use any skimmers, will it work if I am planning to have very low bioload cos rearing solely frogfishs only. Just weekly water changes.

ya its ok not to use any skimmer.. just weekly change will do.

• SRC Member
1 more golden piece of advice.. do not rush in setting up and stocking up.

yup yup. 99.99% alot ppl rush.

I spend near 1K because my stupid move.

Be prepare upto 3 mths water cycle before start.

Ca+Mg+Kh+No3 are basic need and coral food.

good luck.

I want to cry because no friends help me until found this forum

i also chop alot $$$ from shop

• SRC Member

You might not want to risk clams because you're starting a new setup without a skimmer - clams require good water conditions, good calcium levels etc, in short reef conditions. Esp since frogfish are carnivores - the water might become polluted fast, and a 2fter does not have very stable water conditions, temperature issues also.

2x36w might be enough but it might not be a very good idea to put in an expensive clam only to watch it die imo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Greetings,

While it is good to ask question, but I suggest your focus is not to find out what to keep, but to ready your tank first, remember, you don't want to use livestock as "test". Get all your equipment set up first, and start the tank cycling. As as many questions as possible, if you prefer to save some bucks instead of experimenting.

Matthew