Anemone struck..

Arrrgh.. :(

I brought an anemone yesterday and place it in a small tank to be transfered to my bigger tank.. problem is now its struck to the glass surface and refuse to let go? How can I pull it off the surface other than dousing it with hot water..

Can I drain all the water out ?

• SRC Member
So far so good for the anemone : ) Thanks.. Unfortunately, one of my tomato clown fish died after it swims into it.. stung?..

It depends on what type of anemone. Clownfish don't usually get killed by swimming into uncompatible anemones or maybe the anemone had not totally gotten used to the clownfish yet. If the clownfish swam into something like a really stinging tube anemone, it would just swim away. Deaths do happen though. Just not that often.

It depends on what type of anemone. Clownfish don't usually get killed by swimming into uncompatible anemones or maybe the anemone had not totally gotten used to the clownfish yet. If the clownfish swam into something like a really stinging tube anemone, it would just swim away. Deaths do happen though. Just not that often.

You meant the clownfish has not gotten used to the anemone. :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Eh? I tot the clownfish is supposed to coat the anemone with the anemones mucus so that the anemone will recognise the clownfish as one of its own 'tentacles'? It's portrayed in 'Finding Nemo' too... :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Eh? I tot the clownfish is supposed to coat the anemone with the anemones mucus so that the anemone will recognise the clownfish as one of its own 'tentacles'? It's portrayed in 'Finding Nemo' too... :D

sorry for the late reply. haven't been checking the forums awhile.

anyway, the clownfish is trying to "cloak" itself from the anemone by smearing itself with the anemone's mucus. I believe the anemone's nematocysts are not triggered when the tentacles touch plastic. They only trigger when they are in contact with proteinaceous material, is that right? And the tentacles will not trigger when in contact with each other (imagine the anemone wasting it's own stings on itself)

so therefore, the clownfish makes itself invisible to the stings by smearing itself with anemone mucus like u said. the anemone doesn't sting itself. and so, if it cannot effectively make itself invisible (didn't coat itself with mucus properly or sth,) the anemone will be stinging it. hence my sentence that the anemone hasn't gotten used to the clown (maybe gotten used isn't the right phrase)

P.S. is this one of the theories how clownfish are able to live in anemones or has it been proven? i'm not really up to date.