Need Advice abt my Sump

• SRC Member

hi noticed your sump design almost the same as my.maybe u can moved all your coral chips to the center comparment and place cotton wools on the 1st comp where h20 fr tank flows down. this will help to trap all dirt 1st b4 reaching the coral chips

post-6-1161270523.jpg

Thanks for the prompt reply bro. He he similar huh..btw your skimmer looks powerful man comparatively with mine ..look at the bubble..only halfway. Is there a possibility i set it up wrongly? Its needlewheel

any other gurus do share me picture of your sumps too. Thank you

• SRC Member

i hv added quite some stuff into my sump. the pic i sent was taken early this year. i just started this hobby in jan. still in learning stage.

maybe u can sms@98453428 me for sharing session. prefer it that way cos its faster and easier to communicate.

You can consider a DSB (Deep Sand Bed)... you can go to the internet and read more about DSB.

Here's how my DSB chamber looks like within my new sump.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...ic=51944&st=630

Planting macroalgae can be beneficial (esp. in removing Phosphate) but addition of light source will promote algae growth all over your sump (including the inner chamber of your protein skimmer). In my opinion, a DSB with a plenum is good enough.

Do consider adding filter floss as mentioned by previous posting. Try not to let any unfinished food or wastes to get into the coral chip chamber... any trapped wastes there will create unnecessary Nitrate and if left unattended may clog the entire flow... creating the ultimate disaster :nuke:

All the best!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

It's a good article, but 1 thing I don't really understand. They did mention about don't put any spnge/wool etc in the filtration, but how are we going to filter out dirts from the tank if without them? I know that it can lead to NO3 build up, but that is the case where people don't even bother to wash them. Hmm, the thing is that they did'nt mention what to use to remove dirts...

bro mansiz, you have a point. But there's a part of the article that also mentioned to put something like a gauze to prevent the unnecessary into the sump. Gurus, appreciate your input.

I'm not a GURU but I sorta disagree with the article. From my experience, it is still best to remove any wastes, floating particles, detritus at its source... than to expect your bacterias to dissolve them over time. There are also constant slimes released by various corals to be removed from the water column.

I suggest we stick to the filter floss as a first line of defense (and also as a form of silencer)... change your filter floss every 1 to 2 weeks. That will do the trick... really. Let's not exaggerate the Nitrate Factory aspect here.

Hope this helps :)

Je®vis

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

One thing I would like to hear bros/sis oppinion of your sump, you know the compartment part right, there must be certain number of dividers to divide the compartment, and the dividers are from tall to low, would like to know whether do you just put the amount of water at the peak of the dividers or you overshot them? Overshot meaning you will not see the water fall effect, the divider is at the bottom, and the water surface cover up most of the dividers. Will it affect the main purpose/efficiency of the sump if we overshot?