Sps & Florida Ric Tank

acidjazz

Reef Depot carrys Eheim 1264.

Mainland at pasir ris farm also carrys Eheim 1264.

Might wanna give Petmart a ring to check, they should have it as well.

p.s. Anyway found a fellow reefer who might be upgrading his 2ft cube. Hopefully i will be able to take over.

ic.Thanks, Is this an OEM pump as i cant find it on eheim website? anw, u getting this pump? if so , maybe can get together :D

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where can pluck?? :whistle

Next weekend can go beach to walk walk...

i thought ur tank not ready? Wait till gerald build ur tank already then go find mangroves.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

ic.Thanks, Is this an OEM pump as i cant find it on eheim website? anw, u getting this pump? if so , maybe can get together :D

Nope not an OEM pump. Its original, u check with lfs see who carry it. I wun need such a strong pump for a 2 ft cube!! At most Eheim1262. :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

• SRC Member
i thought ur tank not ready? Wait till gerald build ur tank already then go find mangroves.

Count me in too. I had been to some areas like changi etc to look for the species i want but with no luck. Some of them are always very dirty and have something growing on the stem already. Do not want to risk putting them in my tank.

I studied mangrove and understand their needs and which species can grow in full strength seawater and those cannot. Sadly, those along sengkang river are all black mangrove and cannot acclimate to full strength seawater

Had wanted to buy from Irwana aunty but was told me got no stock too... :(

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

Count me in too. I had been to some areas like changi etc to look for the species i want but with no luck. Some of them are always very dirty and have something growing on the stem already. Do not want to risk putting them in my tank.

I studied mangrove and understand their needs and which species can grow in full strength seawater and those cannot. Sadly, those along sengkang river are all black mangrove and cannot acclimate to full strength seawater

Had wanted to buy from Irwana aunty but was told me got no stock too... :(

Sure. . . Pasir ris does have a lot a lot of mangroves. . i am sure there will be something that will suit ya. If proven to be safe for our tank, will be gd as i used to pay $3 for those mangroves in lfs.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Thanks supposed to come this coming weekend. So can get right??? Anyway me low low budget... Got to save up a bit first. NO chiller when cycling ok right?

Yup. . you dun need a chiller till u put ur first coral into the tank. But best to hook it up with gerald, cuz he can do the pipings for you.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

This weekend who want to go find mangrove?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

This weekend who want to go find mangrove?
I'm interested! :lol: But can only make it on Saturday, Sunday family day cant...

i go check out the areas first, see where got the most concentrated mangroves.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Anything jio me too k. tank confirm coming in this saturday.

u still need time to cycle the tank?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• SRC Member

Hi bro acidjazz,

Been having a number of PMs regarding queries on keeping mangroves and where to pick them…. So Im borrowing your thread to explain since you guys are planning a trip to pick mangrove and I hope the below information will help…

Illuminating mangroves

A daylight lamp at 6,000 Kelvin is sufficient since they are land plants

Maintaining mangrove plants

Mangrove plants exports salt by producing a thin layer of salt crystals on top of their leaves. This should be washed away daily - or at least two to three times per week. In nature, raining washed these salt away…

Fertilizing the substrate may be helpful in new or dry sand beds, but unnecessary or dangerous in aged aquariums where levels of dissolved organics are typically high. One notable exception may be magnesium as mangroves have been implicated as a measurable draw on the element

Adaptability

Along the North-East all the way from Kranji -> Seng Kang -> Pasir ris to changi, these plants are available. However, not all species of mangrove are adaptable to full strength seawater. There are 3 main species of mangrove in spore, namely the white, red & black mangroves. Only the red mangroves are able to grow in full strength seawater continuously. I tried to cultivate some white mangroves picked along the sengkang river but they died within a months. Black mangrove needs to have their roots out of the water for a period of time per day. That is achievable in nature by high & low tide.

In order of high adaptability to low: Red -> White -> Black

If you can find mangroves along the beach, the mangrove will be safe to be placed in aquarium. If plants picked from the swamp, the plants will already have been coated with dirt, pollutants, etc and most are exceptionally large already. U will get what i mean when u seen for yourself..

Good luck in your search... As a small token for my effort in typing out all these, please reserve a few stocks for me if you guys managed to get hold of clean young plants… hehe :paiseh::thanks::D

Hi bro acidjazz,

Been having a number of PMs regarding queries on keeping mangroves and where to pick them…. So Im borrowing your thread to explain since you guys are planning a trip to pick mangrove and I hope the below information will help…

Illuminating mangroves

Mangrove plants exports salt by producing a thin layer of salt crystals on top of their leaves. This should be washed away daily - or at least two to three times per week. In nature, raining washed these salt away…

Fertilizing the substrate may be helpful in new or dry sand beds, but unnecessary or dangerous in aged aquariums where levels of dissolved organics are typically high. One notable exception may be magnesium as mangroves have been implicated as a measurable draw on the element

Adaptability

Along the North-East all the way from Kranji -> Seng Kang -> Pasir ris to changi, these plants are available. However, not all species of mangrove are adaptable to full strength seawater. There are 3 main species of mangrove in spore, namely the white, red & black mangroves. Only the red mangroves are able to grow in full strength seawater continuously. I tried to cultivate some white mangroves picked along the sengkang river but they died within a months. Black mangrove needs to have their roots out of the water for a period of time per day. That is achievable in nature by high & low tide.

If you can find mangroves along the beach, the mangrove will be safe to be placed in aquarium. If plants picked from the swamp, the plants will already have been coated with dirt, pollutants, etc and most are exceptionally large already. U will get what i mean when u seen for yourself..

Good luck in your search... As a small token for my effort in typing out all these, please reserve a few stocks for me if you guys managed to get hold of clean young plants… hehe :paiseh::thanks::D

can they be fragged? :D

Any update on your tank dude? :D

erm. . . i got the Deltec 851 already but its running on my 6 feet tank at the moment. . so basically i got two skimmers running on one tank. Have yet to purchase other equipments. Still busy with work n stuff n travelling. . not tt i am some big boss like creative director or wad. . just need some time to settle down at the moment. :D

How about your tank?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Hi bro acidjazz,

Illuminating mangroves

Adaptability

Thanks for sharing. Seems like mangrove aint tt easy to keep after all. Besides not many pple have refugim, but if cultivated properly will assist in removing nitrates right?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

• SRC Member
can they be fragged? :D

cannot be frag.. hehe

• SRC Member
Thanks for sharing. Seems like mangrove aint tt easy to keep after all. Besides not many pple have refugim, but if cultivated properly will assist in removing nitrates right?

i had not done any controlled experiment to determine that so i cannot say for sure how efficient is it.

However, to a certain extent, i believe the do remove nutrient;

New leaves growth = Nutrients remove from water

You determine for yourself how much a pair of leaves worth of nutrient..hehe

but they are slow growers though.. Cheato is another choice

I choose mangroves because i like the still look of it in a seperate refugium and to keep some interesting stuffs there as well not possible in the main tank

erm. . . i got the Deltec 851 already but its running on my 6 feet tank at the moment. . so basically i got two skimmers running on one tank. Have yet to purchase other equipments. Still busy with work n stuff n travelling. . not tt i am some big boss like creative director or wad. . just need some time to settle down at the moment. :D

How about your tank?

hey,ic..thats a good therory thou,set 1 skimmer to wet mode and the other to dry,u can get both of the 2 worlds :P

Hmm,my tank is still in the making(pipings done, left with another return pump,still cracking my mind between a rio26 or an eheim 1262,scared it cant reach over my 5feet head loss, the other return i using is the eheim1264 u told me :upsidedown: ,.yup,so maybe we can share and exchange ideas along the way...

SLowly and patiently is the key to sucess :yeah:

hey,ic..thats a good therory thou,set 1 skimmer to wet mode and the other to dry,u can get both of the 2 worlds :P

Hmm,my tank is still in the making(pipings done, left with another return pump,still cracking my mind between a rio26 or an eheim 1262,scared it cant reach over my 5feet head loss, the other return i using is the eheim1264 u told me :upsidedown: ,.yup,so maybe we can share and exchange ideas along the way...

SLowly and patiently is the key to sucess :yeah:

that's good news on your side. . . are you excited about it? I am certain Eheim1262 can outbeat Rio20 models and below. . and its a long lasting pump. u have been reefing for so long. . patience is the key but most of the time we cant wait to buy this or that piece of equipment, put in this or that fish sorta thing. :)

For the skimmers, i am just doing a test to see if Deltec or ATI is more effective. Maybe someone want to donate a bubbleking to me so that i can do a test on all three skimmers?!!

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

that's good news on your side. . . are you excited about it? I am certain Eheim1262 can outbeat Rio20 models and below. . and its a long lasting pump. u have been reefing for so long. . patience is the key but most of the time we cant wait to buy this or that piece of equipment, put in this or that fish sorta thing. :)

For the skimmers, i am just doing a test to see if Deltec or ATI is more effective. Maybe someone want to donate a bubbleking to me so that i can do a test on all three skimmers?!!

Thanks..yeap.. I do agree i've started since back then but recently i am out of this hobby for 6months due to exams etc.. so now i'm back , but abit rusty, not knowing what is what and expecially the equipments market. :blink: You bought your 1262 already? If not,maybe can lend me try it out on my tank :lol:

Is your tank cycling or still in the making?

For the skimmer, no need to test , just leave 2 running and im sure it will produce result for your sps.. :idea: