Face off between Deltec & ATI skimmer

acidjazz

i am not expert :lol:

every company build and test impeller to the skimmer the produce , ER use with eheim pump now on he new RC skimmer and the impeller different to then the H&S and the DELTEC .

it's very easy to remove the collection cup , but the true is that my skimmer it's the new version and they miss in the shipment the ro ring i am sure that ATI fix this problem but when i get the ring i will be able to see if it's hard . i skim without it now and it's work ok like that to.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not expert :lol:

every company build and test impeller to the skimmer the produce , ER use with eheim pump now on he new RC skimmer and the impeller different to then the H&S and the DELTEC .

it's very easy to remove the collection cup , but the true is that my skimmer it's the new version and they miss in the shipment the ro ring i am sure that ATI fix this problem but when i get the ring i will be able to see if it's hard . i skim without it now and it's work ok like that to.

u mean your ATI Bubblemaster comes with an O ring?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

mavqi,  which O-ring u referring to? Can u take a picture of the skimmer where the O-ring is missing?

I'm running a ATI BM250 too.  It will be great to show the pic so that I can be enlighten as well.

under the collection cup should be o ring (rubber) like this one in the picture (the picture it's not my collection cup)

30501493695.jpg

Wet skimming.

post-14-1163953962.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

:D

post-14-1163954002.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

i see green color or i am wrong :)

how much time it's take to the skimmer to get the detritus to build in the collection cup ?

yup looks green to me.. tt skimmate is about 3 days worth. Not a lot for a 6 footer tank tt house so many fishes.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

acidjazz

important question do you know how much GPH you feed the skimmer ?

erm. . i have no idea. . how about you?

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

acidjazz

When i saw the picture i ask you how much gallon you feed the skimmer because i thought the skimmer not perform as need to be and after discuss about the perform of it with other member you can get a better result on this skimmer it's very good skimmer and perform should be better as they look i will put here some TIPS that was mention and you can try them and see if it's right or not and the answer for that will be in the collection cup :)

the skimmer set way too dry and all the waste is collecting in the entire riser pipe and none of it is getting over the top of the riser pipe. and this maybe caused by several possible incorrect

1. The water flow through rate is too low, needs to be at least 350gph. Also, is there any surging on the feed to the skimmer?

2. The waterlevel within the skimmer is too low, which translates to the bubble breaking level is too low. This causes to much waste buildup within the riser pipe and reduces the performance of the skimmer. The bubble breaking level should be approximately 2" from the top of the riser pipe like this photo.

" target="_blank">My Webpage

3. Cannot see the full length of the exhaust. If it is too long of a straight return or is going slightly upward, the back pressure will affect the performance of the AP851. If the exhaust return is over 18", it needs to be always directed downward so gravity is working with the return water all the back into the sump. Also, is there any restriction on the exhaust return piping like a ball valve or reduction of piping size to smaller diameter as these can also affect the performance of the AP851.

Obviously, from the photos of your BM250, that skimmer is set correctly, but the AP851 is definitely not. Adjust the AP851 and you should see a dramatic improvement on performance.

i hope it's ok i just try to help and i will be happy to see a better result in your skimmer .

Your skimmer looks like its performing very well.

I tune the Deltec 851 to wet skimmate already, much better now. Thanks for sharing!

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

I believe the Deltec has an advantage over the ATI skimmer because the water is recirculating so you will get better skimming.

With the ati skimmer the water goes in then out so it does not stay in the skimmer as long as the Deltec skimmer. It would be interesting to see a recirculating ati skimmer.

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry that i have not been updating this thread regularly.

Both ATI and Deltec got their advantages and disadvantages.

In my honest opinion, i still choose Deltec because it can be placed both in-sump and out-sump which is more flexible. It seems that Deltec is doing a better job skimming than ATI.

On the other hand, ATI draws in 2000 litres of air per hour while Deltec only draws in 600 litres of air per hour. Therefore, ATI should be able to support a higher capacity tank compared to Deltec.

This thread has no intention to swing reefers towards either brands. Honestly, seeing is believing. Unfortunately my place cant be a showroom for reefers to inspect both skimmers.

If any other reefers here have tried both skimmers, perhaps can input your findings and share the experience.

cheers.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor: