Lionfish

• SRC Member

Hi, any lion keeper around?

I jus bought a lion fish however i think the shop id it wrongly. Sold to me as zebra lionfish but i believe is Antennata lion, Spot-finned lion.

Wic is more expensive?

Current tank

Past tank

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

just got back from Pasir Ris.. after visiting Irwana.. new arrivals of Lions.. spotted to really cute looking Fuzzy lions... and a bunch of dwarfs... so radiated lions (?) and peacocks and zebras and antennata.

All of them the same price.. from $6 onwards.. price depends on size.. so i guess to answer your question.. there may be differences in the price.. depending on the seller... i guess the more excited you are.. the higher the price the seller will charge!!

The 2-3 incher lions are around $6... saw at least 3 very very stable and aggressive volitans... very nice :D

• SRC Member

cute little fella isnt he! :lol:

Its a Antennata alright... as it grow bigger, I'll assume that it will be redder...

I believe when they are about 2 inches.. antennata and the zebra dwarf may look very similar... its only when they are slightly bigger... my assumption, (based on file photos) is that the zebra will have more of a striking seperation of strips and bars and color separation of white bands, black stripes and reddish-brown base color... and as for the antennata the colors tends to be more blended towards reddish brown...

Also, I am assuming that the name antennatta is used for it.. is because the 2 feelers above the antennatta is much longer than the dwarf zebra. :D

my 2 cents worth!

• SRC Member
cute little fella isnt he! :lol:

Its a Antennata alright... as it grow bigger, I'll assume that it will be redder...

I believe when they are about 2 inches.. antennata and the zebra dwarf may look very similar... its only when they are slightly bigger... my assumption, (based on file photos) is that the zebra will have more of a striking seperation of strips and bars and color separation of white bands, black stripes and reddish-brown base color... and as for the antennata the colors tends to be more blended towards reddish brown...

Also, I am assuming that the name antennatta is used for it.. is because the 2 feelers above the antennatta is much longer than the dwarf zebra. :D

my 2 cents worth!

my lion not eating the FW shrimp. hope it can find things to eat in my tank.

caleb, when u getting yours lionfish?

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member
my lion not eating the FW shrimp. hope it can find things to eat in my tank.

As you have mentioned that you just bought the lion, it is not surprising that it's not feeding yet. Lions can go for food for as long as 2 weeks. Have a little patience and try feeding again. Let the lion get accustomed to the environment first. Do note that with a lion in a tank, you need to be more selective of future livestock addition. :P

BTW, I saw some SW feeder shrimps at Pasir Ris farm. Think the boss keeps them to feed her own stock. But you can try buying some from her.

• SRC Member

As you have mentioned that you just bought the lion, it is not surprising that it's not feeding yet. Lions can go for food for as long as 2 weeks. Have a little patience and try feeding again. Let the lion get accustomed to the environment first. Do note that with a lion in a tank, you need to be more selective of future livestock addition. :P

BTW, I saw some SW feeder shrimps at Pasir Ris farm. Think the boss keeps them to feed her own stock. But you can try buying some from her.

U mean saltwater feeder shrimp? Wic shop u refering to?

thanks.

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member

hi bro,

just thought that you might wanna have a look at the picture that I took when I was shopping for my lions..

The rite side one is a Volitan and the left one is a antenatta...

Most likely.. I will get a dwarf zebra and a antennatta.. my fear though is antennatta the fins look more fragile...

I need to check my water tomorrow.. its been 3 days already.. if the parameters are ok, I 'll make a call and go bag them on Monday afternoon... if not.. guess I have to wait... I've learnt my lesson well enough to have patience... a dead fish due to poor preparation.. is the fault of the hobbyist... so i need to do my due diligence! :)

post-8-1163948443.jpg

• SRC Member

Due to the difference in environment, the juvenile Lion would be pretty much stressed.. I would also advocate that you let the little tyke calm down for a few days.. question ... how long does it spent, being vertical like in your photograph? I know that lions.. in their natural habitat would be uprite.. and only when they are hunting will they be vertical.. and even so, verytical with their heads upwards...

and there are some people I know, who feed their lions like once a week only.. with live freshwater shrimps... and I have also heard of peoples Volitans (supposedly the most hardy of the lions) dying on them after a couple of weeks due to overeating...

most important, for now.. is to ensure that the little fella calms down... a stressed fish also means that its immune system can be easily compromised...

Good luck! :D

• SRC Member
now trying to convert FW molly to SW then get them to breed.

hi bro,

Mollies are already so cheap.. i dun think its economical to get them to breed in saltwater.. but then again.. if you have the time and cash and the space to do the breeding program.. it can be quite satisfying...

• SRC Member

hi bro,

Mollies are already so cheap.. i dun think its economical to get them to breed in saltwater.. but then again.. if you have the time and cash and the space to do the breeding program.. it can be quite satisfying...

i m unable to get cheap molly that's why breed them.

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member
i m unable to get cheap molly that's why breed them.

You don't live in Singapore ? If you do, there are places that sells bags of mollies as feeders.. sailfin mollies, pearl mollies and black mollies all mixed in a feeder bag... 200 pieces of mollies for about 3-4 bucks..

• SRC Member

just got back from C328, and I noticed now they have like BABY mollies.. really tiny ones.. as feeders.. these will come in handy for those who have those 2-3inches lions..

• SRC Member
hi bro,

just thought that you might wanna have a look at the picture that I took when I was shopping for my lions..

The rite side one is a Volitan and the left one is a antenatta...

From the picture, it appears to me that both are of the Pteriois sub category. :P The one on the right is a Pterois russelli, while the left is a Pterois volitan. Please refer to here for more details on Lions. It's my favourite page. :D

Here's also a picture of the feeder shrimp I mentioned. Looks too cute to be fish food IMHO. :lol:

post-8-1164110575.jpg

• SRC Member
feed it with dom fa guo lang jiu... :P jk...

bro volitan which LFS got sell SW feeder shrimp??

Erm, I really don't know the exact address, but it's along Pasir Ris Farmway 2, quite near to the T-junction leading to main road. BTW, the shop does not sell feeder shrimps, it just happens that they have some for their own consumption (I mean for their fishes).

I have also seen some people catching shrimps at the coast along Sembawang Park. You may want to try your luck there as well. :P

• SRC Member

Erm, I really don't know the exact address, but it's along Pasir Ris Farmway 2, quite near to the T-junction leading to main road. BTW, the shop does not sell feeder shrimps, it just happens that they have some for their own consumption (I mean for their fishes).

I have also seen some people catching shrimps at the coast along Sembawang Park. You may want to try your luck there as well. :P

bro u refering to the one within the compound of mainland aquarium izzit ?

• SRC Member

sembawang park here i come!!!