Converting to Marine Tank

Hi all,

I am currently keeping freshwater fish and is very interested in switching to Marine fish.

I have changed the lighting to blue.

Marine fish seems so complex. I understand that LFS do sell sea-water. If we simply from those sea-water and cycle it for 1 weeks...can we starting putting fishes in?

Can a hang on filter work?

Can coral sand be used a bed?

What fishes are the most hardy?Learnt from the LFS owner that the small fishes are quite hardy.

Please advise

thank you

yours sincerely,

Storm

• SRC Member

eh fresh water and saltwater is entirely different.

If you want to use hangon, then i'd suppose your tank is relatively small and tho alot of people will say start small, but the smaller it is, the more strict your margin for error will be.

if you're just intending to get your hands wet and try out, this is what i suggest:

1. you can use the hangon, but its gotta at least have some decent enough flow rate to cycle the water through your tank.

2. buy a good salt mix and mix your own water. most bro.s will disagree with me to use direct tap water, but i'd say actually, it's ok one lar.

3. don't save on liverocks, buy premium figi cured rocks with lotsa coraline growing on it.

4. don't use a sand bed so you can manually 'vaccum' up the waste and leftover food. just have a thin layer of sand in the front for aesthetics

5. DO NOT attempt corals. just go keep damsels, or if you want to go for more exotic ones, go keep trigger fish.

during this time, learn to maintain simple things like salinity, pH and dKh and once you master that, you can move on!

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

in my experience.. a small tank won't do will in Marine fish(unless yu change water every 2 days).. at least a 2ft tank..

I understand that LFS do sell sea-water. If we simply from those sea-water and cycle it for 1 weeks...can we starting putting fishes in?

the NSW selling in LS sometime is not tat gd.. I suggest yu use salt mix.. is the best mix wif DI/RO water (if yu dun wan to see hair algae all around).. cycle for 1wk is not enough.. more than 1mth is the best.. fish buy SLOWLY.. 1 or 2 at a week after the cycle..

Can a hang on filter work?

yes yu can use.. the most impt equipment is skimmer.. so yu might wan to look for 2 in 1 handon filter

Can coral sand be used a bed?

ofcoz yu can.. but be4 yu use better read more in DSB.. unless yu not going for it..

What fishes are the most hardy

I can say tangs family is hard for beginner.. no?(for me I nv success when I'm now in tis hobby) :cry: try not to buy too small fish coz they very unstable.. look for bigger than 50cent size.. be4 yu add new fish in ur tank do intro ur fish first.. why do intro coz yu have to make the fish use to ur fish food.. if yu juz thow in the fish.. they might not eat they will die..

agree wif bro johntanjm.. DO NOT attempt corals first.. learn to maintain salinity, pH, dKh, phosphate, ammonia, nitrits and the most headache is nitrate.. when yu master they move on to magnesium, calcium.. again jointanjm bro is right.. don't save on liverocks, buy premium figi cured rocks with lotsa coraline growing on it. and DO NOT wash LR wif tap water..

all the best :peace: happy reefing

• SRC Member

well if you already HAVE a hangon, then use it. but if you have no equipment to begin with and you're buying new ones, i suggest go for a canister. i'm using eheim 2227 to pretty good effect.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

Hi,

I do not a hang-on to yet. I understand that canister cost quite a lot.Anysuggestions for the smallest canister possible as my tank is very small...

I learnt from the LFS that we are not suppose to have air bubbles in the tank so that it wun enter the gills or something like that.if i add apump in, wouldnt it create too much bubble?

thank you

yours sincerely,

Stom