Food dye to test flow in tank?

VBF

Hi reefers,

anyone tried using colured food coluouring to "see" the water flow in the tank during tank setup? Most of the time, after the LR are added in, there may be water restriction at some area causing dead spots. Most of the time, its really "guesstimation" of the water flow in the tank, can't really "see" the flow. Wondering if we can add some dye(fit for eating kind) in the water to test the flow? Just a thought. Sorry if this is discused before or stupid question.

• SRC Member
Hi reefers,

anyone tried using colured food coluouring to "see" the water flow in the tank during tank setup? Most of the time, after the LR are added in, there may be water restriction at some area causing dead spots. Most of the time, its really "guesstimation" of the water flow in the tank, can't really "see" the flow. Wondering if we can add some dye(fit for eating kind) in the water to test the flow? Just a thought. Sorry if this is discused before or stupid question.

Hummm.... never heard of food dye to test flow in e tank :huh: However, by adding cyclopezee into the tank, the small food particles will be able to be taken by the flow of the current in the tank and as such and visibility seen, we could monitor roughly the patterns of the flow. Tat's how I see the current flow in my tank <_<

So isn't the food dye as u mentioned, equivalent to something like wat i did, rather than wat u suggested ? :huh:

And wat food dye are u mentioning abt? is it sold on any LFS shelf ? Safe to used in a marine tank as to will it caused any harm to LS and corals ?

Jus some cents :)

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

hi...artificial coloring...normally those coloring is very harmless to livestock.

unless there is no livestock in it, then u can try with good filtering system.

But it may color ur polyfilter and all the other filter medium.

If there is livestock, u are causing harm to them. so reconsider.

invest more on current and try to cover any cover instead of taking the risk which can harm ur fishes and coral.

If without any livestock, u can try but think of the adverse effects to ur filter medium.

u might need to give them a wash after that. :lol:

Even if it's so called fit for eating, but it's not fit for marine. and pls note...nothing chemical in content and man-made is fit for marine naturally.

Too much of calcium addictive kills

Too much of anything kills.

and u can't even measure how much damage u are doing but using coloring.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

Ya lor, not sure safe anot, thats why asking if any bro or sis tried b4. I tried cyclopezee before but they always get "stuck" on LR if blown on it leh. I even use fine sand but they tend to sink very easily.

Actually thinking of Ribina(dunno how to spell) haha... Thinking of trying during tank setup stage with LR and substrate in place only. Rest of the equipment do not run together. But not sure if negative effect like bro RX said will linger around a not.

Bro Fishtalk long time no see.... still remember your nice nice tank.

Most of the food dyes are made from simple sugars and esters right? Those compound should be safe for marine no??

• SRC Member
Ya lor, not sure safe anot, thats why asking if any bro or sis tried b4. I tried cyclopezee before but they always get "stuck" on LR if blown on it leh. I even use fine sand but they tend to sink very easily.

Actually thinking of Ribina(dunno how to spell) haha... Thinking of trying during tank setup stage with LR and substrate in place only. Rest of the equipment do not run together. But not sure if negative effect like bro RX said will linger around a not.

Bro Fishtalk long time no see.... still remember your nice nice tank.

Most of the food dyes are made from simple sugars and esters right? Those compound should be safe for marine no??

Thanks for remembering me and my tank :D:lol: Well, when I intro my wavemaker to my tank initially, I waited for a couple of days to check whether got any dead spots, meaning any diatoms form at dead area. If yes, I would shift the angle of the wavemaker again till I find the right spot for it. :)

Rock scaping is equally important.

1. Did u elevate the rocks from the sand bed ? I elevate the rocks to allow water flow circulation and prevent dead spots. Meaning try to minimise the contact of the rocks and the sand so tat water flows thru. :huh:

2. Another point is tat, is the wavemaker the right flow for ur tank ?

3. Wat's the rtn pump u using ? :D

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

Thanks for remembering me and my tank :D:lol: Well, when I intro my wavemaker to my tank initially, I waited for a couple of days to check whether got any dead spots, meaning any diatoms form at dead area. If yes, I would shift the angle of the wavemaker again till I find the right spot for it. :)

Rock scaping is equally important.

1. Did u elevate the rocks from the sand bed ? I elevate the rocks to allow water flow circulation and prevent dead spots. Meaning try to minimise the contact of the rocks and the sand so tat water flows thru. :huh:

2. Another point is tat, is the wavemaker the right flow for ur tank ?

3. Wat's the rtn pump u using ? :D

How not to rem... got free drink some more.. :paiseh::D . The wait and see diatom appoarch is indeed time tested. Now planning my future main tank la, curve front panel and quite big so need to consider flow very carefully, if not clean every week will break my back. :P

I totally agree with you on the LR "lifted-up" method to scaping. Using it on my 3 feet BB now. very useful. all the dirty stuff all collect at one cornor(no overflow so not very effective in pushing the dirt up), siphone up every once in a while.

Exactly the same reason thats why I want to make sure flow is as close to ideal during setup as possible. if not shift here shift there, wow floor get dirty, back break leh.. I know la, sure first time scape will not do, but at least decrease the number of "re-scape" time needed.

No pump now la..plan on paper only. :paiseh: I think I need at least 1 year to sort out everything. So in the mean time, using my current tanks and containers to culture LR, and corals. Will experiment some of my "ideas" on current tank also.

Will surely ask u for over for coments once tank ready and in place. Dun worry will get drink also :D

• SRC Member

Oh... free drinks ? No la. Its jus my way of offering to my guest to whom visits my hse ... :lol: Sorry can't remember when U came over to my hse ? on n off got reefer friends who came and brought along their friends ... so kinda of confuse liao :upsidedown:

I rescape 5 times to acheive somehow satisfaction scape ( to me :pinch: ) Well, to take a yr to plan ur tank, wat to say, let me kudos to u frst. It'll be a WOW in the makings then :bow: And hope to be invited to ur hse for free drinks when ur tank is up :P

as for mi i dose aragamilk to see the flow of my tank =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

hahhaa...artificial coloring is indeed sugar and ester...u can called thme phytochemicals. normally extract from plants. but they are in a great concentration that's why it's harmful and with preservatives also.

:lol:

hahaha...i am also setting up a new tank soon. but must get the tank to my house first.

For current... try to place each pump at a corner like one at the bottom left and one at the top right.Diagonally. so that it is a turbular flow instead of a laminar.

will be able to cover all spots ba. :D

Good luck for ur test. it's kinda headache when it comes to new tank. hahaha..

But time is the key to success la.. so cannot chiong one. ahahaha. :lol:

Keep raising ur kids...cannot one day study primary one books.

next time u give them university level. that way u only wasting money. hahaha. :ph34r:

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.