Dendrophyllia (Giant Sun Corals)

exiled_infidel

Hi

Have been trying to do some searching (both here and on RC) but i cant come to a consensus. Im trying to see if they open up 24 hours a day or only when theyre feeding.

Some sources have said that theyre open (despite lack of food int he water) during the day and all, but some sources say they close up after feeding.

Also, what do people feed their Dendros? I was thinking of either mysis (but be mindful of water quality) or just shelled prawns, cut into smaller bits? How often do they need to be fed?

And, possibly most importantly, how much do they retail for in singapore?

Super Sun coral open 24 hours a day, with or without light. But they are always hungry and need to be feed daily. Target feed to each mouth and they will open nicely for you.

It grow very fast, I have 1 colony grow from 20 heads to 30 heads in 1 month.

Average price between S$25.00 to S$50.00 per head depends on colour and size. Each colony will cost around $70.00 to $150.00

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Would the super sun corals open up immediately (after acclimating) when i get them or do i need to tempt them open like tubastrea by squirting squid juice or mysis juice into the tank?

(Dont wanna spend so much if i cant get it to open for me).

Wheres a good place to source them? Are they common, but expensive or are they generally rare?

You need to tempt them open like tubastrea by squirting squid juice or mysis juice into the tank, once open feed them with mysis shrimp. Make sure every mouth are feed, big mouth may need 2 to 3 pieces.

Place them at high flow area on sand bed, light not important.

They are rare compared to normal sun coral, presently no stock at LFS.