Cooling Fan

junyong84

Hey guys, anyone have any luck with cooling fans? I juz bought a 6 mini fan all in a stand... but it doesnt seems to reduce my water temp at all.

Any idea how should i place it???

Thanks...

you did not tell us whether you are having an open top or canopy.

for open top, temp will go down.

canopy will trap the warm air inside thus temp will not reduce.

• SRC Member

you may wish to try this..... get 2 fans... one to cool the lights and the other to cool the water... put it about 1" above the water surface and blow it 24/7.

i have only 1 fan blowing the water surface and :yeah: it has helped to cool my 2ft tank about 2-3deg..... :yeah:

best of luck :peace:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member

have used for 3yrs + & very effective. set the fan to blow directly on the water surface (if u can) or max. 45 degree. fan sud be above water surface not more than 6 inches. it sud cool down at least 1-1.5 deg. but be ware as u need to top up at least 2-4 ltr of fresh water a day. downside is u may have a lot of nusiance algae due to phos & NO3 in the tap water.

all the abv is based on my past experience. may not be appliable to all.

i also using a cooling fan.... on it 24/7... the temp of my water is about.. 26 - 27 degrees for my 2 ft tank... but sometimes if i on my aircon... the temp can go down to 24- 25 degrees.... heheh ... coz the tank is in my room.... :D

nice temp for the corals.. when it is around 25 degrees... hehe :evil:

• SRC Member

I got a 4 fan in a row type, after one month, more and more noisy, slowly

one by one die off until left with one working. Give up , take it out and bought

one diy fan from Sim Lim $20 (0.12A)without holder, drill hold here and there to secure the fan to the tank. Saw LFS having one with holder but selling $32 to $40.

Finally saw the same fan at N-ture (balestier) selling at $28 (0.12A). Bought it!

So...why take the trouble to diy and mess up the whole place.

have used for 3yrs + & very effective. set the fan to blow directly on the water surface (if u can) or max. 45 degree. fan sud be above water surface not more than 6 inches. it sud cool down at least 1-1.5 deg. but be ware as u need to top up at least 2-4 ltr of fresh water a day. downside is u may have a lot of nusiance algae due to phos & NO3 in the tap water.

all the abv is based on my past experience. may not be appliable to all.

Hi UFO,

So do u have any solution to prevent these algae growth? If u do please share with me. I do experience wat u have mentioned. Thanks

• SRC Member

my light I'm using 4 light in 10K kelvin. I dont use powerhead. i use 2 water plumb at the water flow rate of 2600.

it's a 4 feet tank with 6-7 inch sandbed.

Yup it's in the air-con but only at night then the air con is on. Day time I just leave it like that.

it's up to you to believe it or not.

• SRC Member

Hi UFO,

So do u have any solution to prevent these algae growth? If u do please share with me. I do experience wat u have mentioned. Thanks

charlie,

that's is 1 of the biggest problem i'm facing (if not most reefers). there are a few well know methods/solutions:

DSB

RowaPhos

Macro Algae in refugium

I'm now trying all the above & hope to prove it right.