treating cyanide caught fishes

• SRC Member

Sadly, damage to fishes internal organs are permanent and most will not survive long.

What you can do is to try to reduce chances of buying fishes that are likely cynanide caught and the source country is one indication...some reputable LFS will tell you more.

Generally, l heard that some shipments, though not all, from Indo and Phillippines have higher chances of fishes that are cynanide caught. And it also depends on the amount of cynanide used in these countries. Actually, the use of cynanide is cruel to fishes, and it is damaging to the coral reefs also. :angry:

• SRC Member
How to identify whether is the fish cyanide caught or not? I dun believe LFS or LFF will tell u that, right?

It's likely to be difficult to identify a fish tt is cynanide caught as the damage is in the internal organs. Even the LFS may not know sometimes. Even if they do know, i guess most of them will not tell you.

One indication i understand is the poo - usually white. Some may have swimming problems.

Hence, IMO, the source country may be a better indication. Try to avoid fishes from these countries. But again, i also understand that there are fishes tt are able to survive long if the amt of cynanide used to catch them is very low. Also, good to buy from reputable LFS whom you know.

• SRC Member

Cyanide is a blood agent that acts on the mitocondria of the cells... preventing the cells from using oxgen available for cellular activities... thus there would not be much tell tale signs... except that the fish appear lethagic due to the cells not being able to 'breathe'.........

so the cyanide effect on the fish will not be expelled even after few months?

or the cyanide will constantly cause lethargic in fishes?

what other countries other than indonesia are known for cyanide caught fishes?

from the other threads, said that actually almost all fishes from lfs is cyanide caught since its not easy to net it.

• SRC Member

its hard for the body to expel the cyanide once it binds with the enzyme in the mitochondria.... unless it is a minimal dosage... which i doubt so... the fish will eventually die due to lack of the ability to use oxygen... as the organ most likely to be affected first is the brain or the heart as they need the most oxygen, chances of survival is low.

In humans the only way to save ppl is to use IV lines and pump chemicals into the blood... we can't do this in fishes as the blood vessels are so thin... so i can conclude that there is practically no way we can save the fishes using the technology at present.

• 2 weeks later...