REEFEZ KALK

LinkinPark

• SRC Member

Hi

1st time bought Reefez Kalk and need help on the following:

1) for a 3x1.5x1.5ft tank with 2x1.5x1.5ft sump, how much Reefez Kalk do I need to add to raise KH by ONE?

2) When KH increase by ONE deg, what is the corresponding increase in Calcium (??? ppm)?

3) Does Kalk perform the same FUNCTION (or PURPOSE) as Part A, B?

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

sorry to hijack... i haf another question...

it seems that the more i dose kalk... the redder the fiji rocks become... but local (indon?) live rocks become more pink... i tot that there are different coraline... fiji red and local pink... but now i suspect that i'm having a red slime problem instead.. can someone clarify?

thnx

Hi

1) for a 3x1.5x1.5ft tank with 2x1.5x1.5ft sump, how much Reefez Kalk do I need to add to raise KH by ONE?

2) When KH increase by ONE deg, what is the corresponding increase in Calcium (??? ppm)?

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

i think u gotta first see the alkainity intake of the ls in your tank..coz for those with plenty of hard corals, the increase in alkalinity will significantly be lesser than that of those with mainly soft corals...so it's best if u can have a rough gauge of the dkh intake first. for example, assume 1 litre of saturated kalk solution raises alkalinity by 1dkh and your dkh intake of your tank is about 1dkh a day, then adding just 1 litre of saturated kalk solution will only help maintain the current dkh level..to increase it by 1dkh, u'll need 2 litres of kalk solution....

yah, kalk solution will help maintain both calcium and alkalinity in a balanced form as found in NSW...

can check out this website to calculate stuffs...hope that helps

http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• SRC Member
Hi

:thanks:  :thanks:  :thanks:

Just to add,

2) the balance ratio of cal/alk is 20ppm/2.8dkh

So for every takeup of 20ppm cal, there would be 2.8dkh of alk used.

3) kalk is a balance addictive like those part A&B. But it also precipitate phosphate. And it has high PH.

1) I assuming your ONE refers to 1 meg/l which is 2.8 dkh

Assuming your total vol is 50 US gallons.

Based on the chemistry calculator link above, you will need 1.2 gallon of saturated kalk solution to raise 20ppm of cal and 2.8 dkh of alk.

Hope this helps.

• SRC Member
sorry to hijack... i haf another question...

it seems that the more i dose kalk... the redder the fiji rocks become... but local (indon?) live rocks become more pink... i tot that there are different coraline... fiji red and local pink... but now i suspect that i'm having a red slime problem instead.. can someone clarify?

thnx

i dont really know why it has red slime .. but i am sure dosing of kalkwasser is not the cause of red slime build up :)

i think u can check ur pO4 levels ..

• SRC Member

Mellow, thank you for the input.

My question is specifically on Reefez Kalk.

My assumption is: in a situation where there is no calcium consuming coral, no "snow storm", just plain seawater, how many teaspoons of Reefez Kalk (this specific product) will raise the dkh by 1 degree for my tank size?

And when the dkh increased by 1 degree, how much will the calcium increase, ie increase by how much ppm (again for this particular product)?

Once I got this figure (ie the easy way out, whereby I don't have to trial and test), I will be able to adjust my dosage.

Every morning, my Alk is 7-8deg and Ca 400ppm. I dose part A,B every morning to raise Alk to 10-11 and Ca to 430ppm.

Once I got the measurement of Alk & Ca per teaspoon (of Reefez Kalk) for the size of my tank, I can plan for better routine to maintain the desired level.

• SRC Member

onghm, thank you for the input.

<<Based on the chemistry calculator link above, you will need 1.2 gallon of saturated kalk solution to raise 20ppm of cal and 2.8 dkh of alk.>>

1.2 gallon of saturated kalk solution = how many teaspoon of Reefez Kalk mix with 1.2 gallon of water??

Is it true that for this product (ie Reefez Kalk), 1.2 gallon = 20ppm and 2.8 dkh??

:thanks:

• SRC Member

It's hard to guage ur dosage as diff pple have diff LS n diff total volume of water....

i think best way is to underestimate ur dosage first... then fine-tune/moderate ur dosage along the way as u test ur water parameters....

As for how many teaspoons to add to 1 L of water to create a saturated soln, i tink instructions shld hav been written on the packaging? :)

• SRC Member

Rough guideline to get saturated kalk solution is 2 teaspoon per gallon.

If you are using RO/DI water, if i remember correctly, its about 4 ts per gallon.

To be more precise, here what u can do to test if 2 ts per gallon is enough to produce saturated kalk solution :-

Put 2 teaspoons of kalk in a cup of water and stir for a minute or two.

Measure the ph and use that as the pH standard.

Mix 2 teaspoons of kalk in a gallon of water and take the ph after mixing.

Compare the ph of the container to the cup.

If there is no difference, it is about saturated.

The chemistry calculator states saturated limewater (kalk = limewater).

1.2 gallon of saturated limewater will raise 20ppm/2.8dkh per 50gallon.

(Is your total vol = 50 gallon ? I use 50gallon juz to illustrate)

hope this helps.

• SRC Member

Hi linkin park,

From my experience in dosing kalkwasser,

unlike calcium additives, which completely dissolves in your water and can calculate more accurately...there isnt a formula for you to calculate how much does a teaspoon of kalk be it reefez or seachem or rowa. This is because the amount of alk you gonna get greatly depends on the amount of co2 that is in your water, your drip rate, the original amount of carbonate and bicarbonate concentration in your tank water, your water pH and etc.... its almost impossible to calculate in such a complex environment...

Usually for what i do, b4 i add the saturated solution, i measure alk and ca levels first... then after abt 3 days later when the drip finishes, i measure my increase in alk and ca... if lower than initial readings, i need to drip more and vice versa...

Hope this helps..

• SRC Member

i dont really know why it has red slime .. but i am sure dosing of kalkwasser is not the cause of red slime build up :)

i think u can check ur pO4 levels ..

thnx for the input.. yeah.. its not red slime*phew* juz a different color of coraline other then the usual pink/purple i guess...

any by the way... damn big bottle of kalk u haf there dripping into ur tank... gosh! :o