Jervis' 6th Tank

jervismun

Have you tried keeping Seahorse before?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried keeping Seahorse before?

• Yes, a success!
    • Yes, but not a very good experience
    • No

nice tank jervis.. cant wait to drop by 1 day to visit ur tank again!!

i use to haf 2 black seahorses that breed but all died.. sad!!!! :(

I am planning to organize another meet up session... will keep you posted :)

Meanwhile I am toying with the idea of adding more Tonga branches in the coming weeks... will buy a few branches and let them cycle in my main system :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I am planning to organize another meet up session... will keep you posted :)

Meanwhile I am toying with the idea of adding more Tonga branches in the coming weeks... will buy a few branches and let them cycle in my main system :)

am i involved? heh

how sure are you that it's the 1st hydro here?

Well... that's what I've been told :huh:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Have to travel all the way to Pasir Ris to get Live Brine Shrimp :cry: These Seahorses are really spoilt :evil: But seems like my Rics enjoy the LBS too :P

post-34-1185452500.jpg

The Glass Anemone Shrimps are the biggest benefactors :lol::lol::lol:

post-34-1185452595.jpg

• SRC Member
Have to travel all the way to Pasir Ris to get Live Brine Shrimp :cry: These Seahorses are really spoilt :evil: But seems like my Rics enjoy the LBS too :P

Haha,

Working hours go buy LBS, enjoy yrself in pasir ris farm?

Haha I hang around there till 5.30pm.

Working hours go buy LBS, enjoy yrself in pasir ris farm?

Haha I hang around there till 5.30pm.

I didn't see you when I left... bought anything? :lol:

Ya bought some sun coral only....

Bro I have sad news... the yellow specimen died :cry::cry::cry: Sorry I failed :bow:

post-34-1185539631.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro I have sad news... the yellow specimen died :cry::cry::cry: Sorry I failed :bow:

Sorry to hear of this sad news. My condolences to u. :cry: Lets hope all others are well and healthy :(

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

I really should be more prepared... here's bro Terryz's contribution (he posted in another forum) :thanks:

Try this to transit them from live food to frozen food...

Extract from Seahorse.org forum

Foods:

1 bottle of garlic extract or any commercial garlic juice

Live adult brine shrimp

Frozen adult brine shrimp, and frozen mysis

Method:

1) For 2 weeks treat live brine shrimp with garlic soak when feeding

2) Begin adding frozen brine shrimp, treat with garlic together with the live brine shrimp and observe.

(Initially there will be little interest in the non swimming foods, over 1 wk gradually shift the ration from primarily live brine shrimp to primarily frozen brine shrimp)

3) Begin adding a small amount of frozen mysis to the mix, this may be done starting midway through step 2.

4) In the morning, feed only frozen foods. In the afternoon, feeding frozen, after 15-30 min then offer small amount of live/frozen mix. Continue for 1 week.

5) Feed frozen only for next month, then live foods may be offered as a treat, or supplement.

6) The garlic treatment can be faded out once the horses are on frozen.

The basic theory behind this is respondant conditioning.

We are pairing a potent (neutral) stimulus (ie garlic/scent) with an established (conditioned) stimulus, ie food.

Overtime the scent elicits the same responses as the food.

The key to this process is consistency. Make a routine, use the same method of adding foods to the tank.

I personally have found it very helpful to simultaneously train to a feeding station along with training to frozen. Method is the same as above, just restrict where food is presented to the area of the station. Think the effect of live brine shrimp squirming around in the frozen helped speed up the process of accidentally trying the frozen.

Nice pair swimming around... that white dot on the left is a piece of frozen mysis soaked in Vitachem :)

So romantic :wub:

post-34-1185547667.jpg

May God bless it, let it reborn...

Reborn into a Blue Tang and take revenge by eating non-stop? :lol::lol::lol:

A few days worth... still not entirely satisfied... perhaps I am too used to Grotech quality skimmate :erm:

post-34-1185547796.jpg

Added a very small Cleaner Shrimp 2 days ago... functioning well in the tank :D

post-34-1185725132.jpg

• SRC Member

arh~ such pity :cry::cry::cry:

sorry to hear that jervis but dun get dishearted. you still have more to take care now. :peace:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Sorry to learn dat a yellow die :(

Brine shrimp wont provide enough nutrient for them thou

LCK do sell live mysis shrimp mayb u can call them n check if they still hv anymore stocks.

Brine shrimp wont provide enough nutrient for them thou

LCK do sell live mysis shrimp mayb u can call them n check if they still hv anymore stocks.

That's why I soak the LBS with Garlic Guard... and surprisingly they can survive the mix for hours :shock:

Sis, you mind sms me LCK's no? :thanks:

post-34-1185795318.jpg

Been adding various macroalgae past few days... here's something new... I believe it's Ulva Lettuce Algae :)

post-34-1185795856.jpg

Introducing new tank mates... Dragonface Pipefish :D:D:D

post-34-1185796356.jpg