Lighting issues?

ad_aware

Hmm after some check with uber uber nice skyline and Reefz here... my tank stats are as follows:

NO: 15<ppm

Calcium: 600 ( is it too high?)

MG: 1280

KH:6 (need boosting)

Temp: 28dc<

Running a white 14K 150W MH...

Seemingly hving problems growing coraline algae :( Shld i add some blue lights to blend the spectrum? Is 2tubes of NO blue enuff? Or is a HO a must?

• SRC Member

hi there bro,

try increasing your kh slowly over time, and keep it up at around 9 to 11 dkh. dont supplement calcium for a while, and your calcium levels should slowly begin to fall.

high kh levels tend to encourage the growth of coralline algae. likewise, a high ph level favours coralline, and kh quite directly influences ph, so try to bump up the kh ya.

are your phoshhate levels good? phosphate has been shown to inhibit calcification in some studies, so the lower your phosphates, theoretically, the easier it will be for coralline to grow.

cheers,

ian

HI there IAN!!! Long time no c~ hows ur wonderful tank? haha.. and thx a lot for replies Stormtropper

i havent check po4... currently trying out mangroves :) Hopefully it helps.. am stopping the keeping of big fishes... wanna slowly move into more corals less LS mode :)

Im dosing this supplement tat supposedly boosts Mg and Ca (its all in the powder) so hmm ya i think play safe better stop dosing Ca rite?

Am trying to pump the max of upping 1kh a day..(or read somewhere tats the limit)

Also, hmm good actinic blue light i understand will help.. but cos im currently hving a 150w mh set.. was wondering if it will even help if i get 2xt5 HO to supplement the spectrum?