newbie newbie .. WHAT'S NEEDED 4 MARINE TANK?

newbie here... intending to convert my 2ft [high one..not sure how many inches] into a marine tank.....

i already have lights n OHfilter....

if im not wrong, i need

-marine sat

-sand

-ph kit

what else? please feel free to advise... im sure n confident of u old birds here... :D

thankx in advance !

• SRC Member

for hardware, u need to following

1.hydrometer

2. Live Rocks

3. Test kits eg; NH3, NO2, No3

for lights, u need to get at least those with 9500k and above.. since u are not keeping corals, IMO, u can do away with MH or mercury vapour lamps.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

with a protein skimmer & a cheap thermometer(to keep track of temp), cause feeding in Fish only results in a lot of waste-uneaten foods. The OH will get in the way when u intend to put in lights,protein skimmer. Running without a skimmer will be ok for a while, maybe 3 mths before u see the scum on the water surface. Although a surface skimmer connected to a canister will keep suface clear- the dissolve organics will be high.

Don't rush into it yet. Better spend sometime, do some research and read thru as much threads as you can.

This forum is very informative and you'll need all the info you can get.

Dun play play. you definately don't wanna spend your money and loose everything overnight......

Me also newbie. Just started my tank abt a week. Had my custom made tank sitting at home for a month before i started doing anything.

Before that, have been reading and reading..........

To tell you the truth, no regrets. But the impatient itch is unbearable.

Enjoy!!

• SRC Member

Don't forget a surface skimmer, found it useful to remove dust on the water surface esp. for open top fish tank.

IMHO, you should set a budget because it could be very costly if you want to install everything on day ONE.

Also, plan for a good filtration (sump) if your space and budget permits. Do not stinch on this.

Limpc