Project Reef: Ocean's Three

redmushroom

• SRC Member

just something to share from my side.

i am currently running a CL-650 with my 320L (main plus sump) Tank. My return is feeding into the chiller, and then the output of the chiller goes right into the tank. This way, cold water from the chiller goes straight into the main tank, and enables more even spread of cold water into the main tank.

the thing to take note of is that my chiller kicks in for about 15 min every 35 min, meaning to say 15 min on and 20 min off, when all my lights are on. that is about 200W worth of lights, and trust me it heats up water really fast. when everything is off it kicks in once every hour, and dat is on hot days and nights. i personally think its a pretty ok performance for a cheapo chiller.

den if you consider what pump i am using it is quite different from the above feedback. i am using a weipro 5000, which is 5000L per hour. so approximately 4500L of water is running thru the chiller every hour, and i am getting the above performance. which i personally feel is quite contrary to the snr reefers' observations.

the reason why i am only running on 1 pump to feed the chiller and run the output of the chiller right into the tank is cos to cut electricity bill, as another pump will consume another 8-10 dollars a month. and on top of that my sump has no space.

juz something to share.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

i am currently running a CL-650 with my 320L (main plus sump) Tank. My return is feeding into the chiller, and then the output of the chiller goes right into the tank. This way, cold water from the chiller goes straight into the main tank, and enables more even spread of cold water into the main tank.

the thing to take note of is that my chiller kicks in for about 15 min every 35 min, meaning to say 15 min on and 20 min off, when all my lights are on. that is about 200W worth of lights, and trust me it heats up water really fast. when everything is off it kicks in once every hour, and dat is on hot days and nights. i personally think its a pretty ok performance for a cheapo chiller.

den if you consider what pump i am using it is quite different from the above feedback. i am using a weipro 5000, which is 5000L per hour. so approximately 4500L of water is running thru the chiller every hour, and i am getting the above performance. which i personally feel is quite contrary to the snr reefers' observations.

the reason why i am only running on 1 pump to feed the chiller and run the output of the chiller right into the tank is cos to cut electricity bill, as another pump will consume another 8-10 dollars a month. and on top of that my sump has no space.

juz something to share.

haha thanks for the input bro colinsoon. :)

Seems that everyone is so helpful in sharing their experience. i will use this weekend to say how i can improve things la.... taking into consideration all the bros suggestions.... :P

• SRC Member

Lastly, the final 2 fishes from my old 2ft fowlr set-up at home.

Transferred them over to my 3ft just now. However, i have isolated the coral beauty into a betta box. :erm:

Am thinking of giving it away to any reefer who can take good care of this fella. But i am still considering becos it has been with me for almost 2 years.... and i am kinda emotionally attached to it already. The only worry i have now is that it might peck at my corals in future.. :(

post-34-1188410752.jpg

• SRC Member

den if you consider what pump i am using it is quite different from the above feedback. i am using a weipro 5000, which is 5000L per hour. so approximately 4500L of water is running thru the chiller every hour, and i am getting the above performance.  which i personally feel is quite contrary to the snr reefers' observations.

juz something to share.

Hey colin...

I guess i stand corrected...but do note that altho your weipro is rated at 5000lph, depending on the max head specs of the pump, factoring in headloss and the resistance from running through your entire chiller coil, i'd guess that you'd only be getting maybe 3000lph or possibly less by the time it hits ur main tank. Oddly enough, this is still fairly high a turnover for a resun. Altho i did do a google check and it stated somewhere that the recommended flow rate for a CL650 is 1800lph. I'm not too sure how true that is but if that's the case, it's alot higher than what i had initially thought...and that being the case, perhaps the slightly higher flow rate doesnt have too big impact on performace...especially on a smaller volume tank like urs.

Perhaps also, practical applications don't always gel with technical specifications. :P

Oh and on smaller tanks, that's a pretty efficient way to setup, using only a single pump as a return and also to drive the chiller :)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
I love royal gamma too... nice lobo anyway

thanks for the compliment bro. :P

Royal gramma has been my love since i was in primary school (over 10 yrs ago), when my dad promised to get one for me when i only when i got good grades cos it was so expensive.

Am so happy and fortunate to own one in my tank now... its so lovely and cute yet fierce looking with its "eyebrows". :wub:

Anyway hope my lobo heals well..... :(

• SRC Member
Bro, if you wanna have meaty corals in yr tank like prata, cynarina etc, i suggest you better not add in the coral beauty now. l have tried twice and both ended nipping on my lobo, zoos, brains etc and i ve a hard time catching them out. ;)

yeah thats y i am isolating it in the betta box now. But i am quite reluctant to give it away altho it might harm my corals... cos nevertheless it has been with me for quite a while... :huh: and even if i eventually decide to do so i will want to make sure that the coral beauty will be well taken care of by the new owner....

• SRC Member

yeah thats y i am isolating it in the betta box now. But i am quite reluctant to give it away altho it might harm my corals... cos nevertheless it has been with me for quite a while... :huh: and even if i eventually decide to do so i will want to make sure that the coral beauty will be well taken care of by the new owner....

I'm a lover of coral beauty..... if you are letting go, I'm willing to house him.

My food routine cosist of Henry's food, forzen brine shrimps and pellets. On rotation basis. :lol: All my fishies fat and juicy.

• SRC Member
yea nice to meet ya too (",) really a nice buy! seldom c black cap in market nowadays wor. so envy....haha

Yup.... am really happy that i managed to get one for myself. :)

Its indeed hard to find them nowadays...... But then again it seems that the vanuatu shipment at Iwarna last night was even harder to come by..... :idea:

Did you get yourself anything this weekend? :lol:

• SRC Member

Oh... haha and i managed to get one laboutei wrasse and a candy hog fish too.... but it was too late by the time i got back and i fogot to take a pic of them before introducing them into my tank..

Will try to post up some pics of it once i get a chance to take some shots....

Seems that this weekend has been a very rewarding one.... :D:D