What to place in external fountain filter?

• SRC Member

hi ppl..what should i place into my external fountain filter? ceramic? coral sand? and i just started maturing my tank..when is it the best time to place in the filter? your rply is much appreciated.. :)

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

In the 1st place you should not use this kind of filter.......don't think it can handle the waste generated by the fishload and what ever you keep in the tank.

This is more for fresh water as the fishes are more tolerant of high nutrient level and water change is relatively easy.

Since you are using it, you can put what ever inert filter media you want......filter media are almost the same for marine or fresh. It just a substrate for the denitrifying bacteria to grow.

• SRC Member
i dun understand..i see much of the marine aquarium they also uses such filter..i noe a canister is the best.. :huh:

A cannister is not the best...

i dun understand..i see much of the marine aquarium they also uses such filter..i noe a canister is the best.. :huh:

there isn't such thing as best and worst, actually.

canister does its job pretty well for ammonia and nitrite....but as for nitrate, it doesn't enjoy the success rate as much as macroalgae and a deep sea bed or a DSB.

so yeah. (=

• SRC Member

How big is your tank? I think your fishes will be screaming for help if you're using it for a 2ft+ tank.... If your tank is relatively big plz get at least a cannister, altough i would recommend a sump. In future plz do more research before you venture into anything new or els it'll cost you a lot of money and a lot of lives(livestocks).

• SRC Member

i already read up alot..my tank aint big..so canister i dun tink is useful.. external filter..book also stated it can be used.. i see other aquariest doing it too.. dun sound till external filter is something we use to 'kill' our livestocks..they are useful when placed with correct filter media..am i rite.. :cry2:

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

don't fret out first.

firstly, how big is your tank? anything below a two feet can be sustained by a external hang on filter like yours. I've seen LFS and even have a friend who uses Eheim Liberty on a 2ft. go to ML for example. you'll see it for yourself.

secondly, canister filters, hang on filters, undergravel filters and whatever external or internal mechanisms are normally frowned upon in marine for the very basic reason that they can become a place for nitrate to rise to insane levels. this is because like I said before in the earlier post, to convert nitrite to nitrate requires anaerobic bacteria. since such filters normally rely on the process of having a body of water flowing through its filter media, it is impossible to create an anaerobic environment. therefore, for NO3 reduction, people normally resort to either using a refugium with macroalgae in which they cultivate regularly, or regular water change. some also use it in tandem with a deep sea bed of six inches.

refugium removes NO3 by using macroalgage which probably uses the NO3 as a form of nutrient for it. thats why you see people growing "weed look alike" on some part of the setup. those are the macroalgae responsible for removing such NO3s. a deep sea bed removes it because as the sand becomes compact, the bottom part of the deep sea bed becomes an anaerobic area. perfect for nitrate removal. however, a DSB takes a long time to develop. anytime from eight months to a year before you start to see harmless N2 gas bubbling from the bottom.

thats why many people frown on a canister filter. because its troublesome to maintain, and they don't do its job against nitrates. but like I said in some earlier post, some people do not have the luxury of having a deep sea bed/refugium or a sump tank. in which case, they have to settle with such filters like a canister or a hang on. since that is the case, the owners of these tanks must make an extra effort in tank maintenance. if not, expect sky high NO3 levels.

I stand to be corrected. only a newbie giving his five cents worth. :P

• SRC Member

Thanks terry.. my tank is less than 2ft..plan to keep same marine fishes with some LR only.. TERRY one thing you must HELP me!! My LR got worm!! i dunnoe wad kind is tat!! bristle??

Worm: Dark brown with white stripes hiding in a hole on my LR

How to get rid!! gross man :angry: i read up they say just sink it into fresh water will do,and the worm will drop out.Is it true? will it make my LR dies? :cry:

ga051025.gif

av-24.gif

Thanks terry.. my tank is less than 2ft..plan to keep same marine fishes with some LR only.. TERRY one thing you must HELP me!! My LR got worm!! i dunnoe wad kind is tat!! bristle??

Worm: Dark brown with white stripes hiding in a hole on my LR

How to get rid!! gross man :angry: i read up they say just sink it into fresh water will do,and the worm will drop out.Is it true? will it make my LR dies? :cry:

whatever you do, never rinse your rocks with freshwater. I may be wrong, but chlorine from tap water actually kills whatever you have in the rock. good or bad.

flush it with used tank water, and brush it clean with a toothbrush or something. bristle worms should be okay, they should seed your sandbed and such. but if you really want to remove them, by all means.

again, I stand to be corrected! (=