detritus??

Finished cycling my tank and was advised to remove the filter wool from my sump. Was told to leave sump empty and let the skimmer do it's job. Makes sense so I did it. Now I have lot's and lot's of tiny worm like things sticking to the inside of the tank. Is this ditritus which had built up in my sump? If so is it a problem and how should I get rid of them?

Those are probably little tube worms, not harmful at all

I've got thousands of those in my refugium plus few tens of those kind of tube worms you find in shops growing from the thick layer of detritus at the bottom :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

yeah those are baby tube worms. They're fine. Detritus is anything that looks like dirt and rubbish, collected in a pile or floating around.

I think there is still value in having filter wool, it catches a lot of the bigger waste particles especially if you keep tangs. Just make sure you change regularly to prevent NO3 buildup. I would say every three to four days change the wool.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".