• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Bro, you going fowlr or mixed reef?

Since you have gotten a very good chiller, i guess shd be mixed reef. For angels, l do know there are some softies and LPS tt they do not touch...like mushrooms, leathers, bubble, hammer, frogsprawn. But no-no for prata, brains, cynarina and other meaty corals etc. Maybe other bros here can advise as i only kept angels for a short while.

hi underwater.

well well i guess im kind of moving or heading twd corals...kind of confused...but really too bad cannot hv angels and corals together...

thats the wonder of this hobby plenty to explore..will never get tired..

thx for the info bro..i shall read up more for info on corals now onwards...

• SRC Member
Yo.

Nice chiller. :)

Btw, have ya tested ya temperature in ya sump?

Wonder if a high temperature would hinder the growth of algae and pods in the sump.

:)

hi ah lim. like your idea of movable dsb in sump. well currently my sump still used as holding/isolation tank. no intention to chg it to refugium but maybe maybe once tank stable mite copy yo style and put arogronite sand fr sl in the container.the rest of space use as isolation.

not too sure it will benefit the tank?

or maybe can put other biological or mechanical filter in container?? shall see how.

went to harq...shop and got myself some zoos, squamosa clam, plate and cup pagoda..

so now im more onto mini reef and maybe tangs + other reef safe type of fishes...plenty to learn..

• SRC Member

hi ah lim. like your idea of movable dsb in sump. well currently my sump still used as holding/isolation tank. no intention to chg it to refugium but maybe maybe once tank stable mite copy yo style and put arogronite sand fr sl in the container.the rest of space use as isolation.

not too sure it will benefit the tank?

or maybe can put other biological or mechanical filter in container?? shall see how.

went to harq...shop and got myself some zoos, squamosa clam, plate and cup pagoda..

so now im more onto mini reef and maybe tangs + other reef safe type of fishes...plenty to learn..

Yo....mini reef, later full blown reef !! :D:D

Oh, I forgot whether there's light in your sump, anyway, can put some red bamboo, nice and red, improve your quarantine area, more hiding place=less stress :) Food for tang !

I think its juz me, I love red bamboo. Haha.

Best to find sand that is 2-3 mm in size, Aragonite sand can buffer the water only if the PH drops to below 7.4, since our normal PH is not in that range...also no point woh...

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I forgot where I heard that frm.

:D

• SRC Member
may i know whats the name of this coral?

Mazed Brain if i am not mistaken

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

Hi!

I saw that u hv 2 different brand of test kit for the nitrate.... Can take a pic of the content of the two brand? Also, is there any differences in the testing instruction?

:thanks:

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
Hi!

I saw that u hv 2 different brand of test kit for the nitrate.... Can take a pic of the content of the two brand? Also, is there any differences in the testing instruction?

:thanks:

hi kareen.

well i used the tetratest(german)-$10++ for awhile alre and recently after i upgrade i bought salifert(holland)-$32.

the problem with salifert is there is no english instruction but i still managed to go thru the test base on the digit given.

are you using any of this product?

• SRC Member

hi kareen.

well i used the tetratest(german)-$10++ for awhile alre and recently after i upgrade i bought salifert(holland)-$32.

the problem with salifert is there is no english instruction but i still managed to go thru the test base on the digit given.

are you using any of this product?

If I'm not wrong, For the salifert nitrate testkit.

Add 1 ml of water into test tube.

Add Powder A with the blue spoon, press against the wall of the container.

Add Powder B, same amount as A and swirl. [not shake]

Rest solution for 5 mins and view results.

If Reading less than 10, view from the side and divide by 10. [if I remember correctly...]

Salifert one more accurate.

• SRC Member

If Reading less than 10, view from the side and divide by 10. [if I remember correctly...]

thx ah lim for the english version. you study foreign language huh heehee..

so hows your tank dpoing now?

• SRC Member

:thanks: for the salifert nitrate testkit instruction... but I do not understand this:

"press against the wall of the container"

"view from the side" :huh:

Can explain a little bit more.... What about the tetratest(german) testkit? :bow:

• SRC Member

Sorry for the broken england... :P

Okay, basically, there is 2 type of reading from Salifert's Nitrate testkit.

Medium Range

Place the test Vial on the white part of the color chart and compare colors from the TOP.

If the color corresponds to a calue lower tha 10mg/L Nitrate, use the low range method.

Low Range Method. <for reading less then 10mg/L>

The color comparison is done by looking through the SIDE of the test vial.

Divide the readings by 10 , 50 will become 5 etc.

• SRC Member

:thanks: for the salifert nitrate testkit instruction... but I do not understand this:

"press against the wall of the container"

"view from the side" :huh:

Can explain a little bit more.... What about the tetratest(german) testkit? :bow:

l think he meant pressing the blue spoon against the wall of the bottle after scooping to get a levelled spoonful of powder.

As for viewing from the side, i think shd be instead of reading from the top (where the viewing container is placed on the colour chart), one places the tube against the color chart (both standing up). But i didn't practise that though...

As for the tetra test kit, quite confusing as the back of the box says got to divide the final reading by 4.4 to get nitrate concentration but not written in the instruation manual. Dunno why also. Wasted my time & $ changing water initially as i thought my NO3 reading was very high until i read the instruction at the back of the box. :angry: A search here can find reefers sharing their displeasure over this product. IMO, Salifret is much easier, better and accurate.

• SRC Member

Haha, no lah, I bought the english version.

Juz bought a blue tang last week, :D

More to come.

How's yours? any photo? new fish ? :P

hi ahlim.

well no new fish yet but few corals. didnt post the corals cos camera not so powerful to capture nice+clear shot.

adding of fish will be much later stage cos wana let h20 settle in more 1st. now learning abo corals heehee..

im still waiting for my wavemaker-currently out of stock. lots of brown algae. so doi cleaning more to clear the brownie.

where you bought the pbt? any itch? had that b4 but always kena itch-scary man.

how often you feed your corals and with what food? also how many hrs you on your lights? blue is more important or white light is more important? sorry so many question-just want to get different opinion in this matter.

thx and hv great day.

• SRC Member

Blue tang bought from Ah beng there.

Very healthy, feasting on bamboo algae right now.

I quaratine it for a week to check for any signs of ich etc, but i think fellow reefers will quarantine it longer, the longer the better. 2-3 weeks.

The LFS standard also very important, some fishes might look good at LFS but once due to the stress in transpoting the fishes, you will see all sickness appear. I learnt the hard way, but from ermmm...some lfs, the fish haven't reach hm, all the illness come out le.

Still prefer ah beng and aquamarin.

Regarding corals, guess the rest of the guys can help you with. Me do not hav much knowledge in that. :P

• SRC Member
for corals can go GO 1 of our sponsors.. very healthy and nice.

hi reddevil.

well i started venturing few shops for corals and yet to visit g.o. will do that when free. i hv problem sticking corals on rock with epoxy.

do you guys remove the coral-stick the epoxy to the coral-stick the both to the rock

or

stick epoxy to coral and stick some epoxy to rock that press both together?

or

epoxy to rock only than stick coral to the rock?

some how it doesnt hold and poor coral will drop. hand tend to hv slimmy stuff when touches the coral. will it kill the coral than?

sometimes i really wonder how all those display tank can hv eg prata stuck on the rock when it has con shape below it?

sorry so many questions.

• SRC Member
Blue tang bought from Ah beng there.

Very healthy, feasting on bamboo algae right now.

I quaratine it for a week to check for any signs of ich etc, but i think fellow reefers will quarantine it longer, the longer the better. 2-3 weeks.

The LFS standard also very important, some fishes might look good at LFS but once due to the stress in transpoting the fishes, you will see all sickness appear. I learnt the hard way, but from ermmm...some lfs, the fish haven't reach hm, all the illness come out le.

Still prefer ah beng and aquamarin.

Regarding corals, guess the rest of the guys can help you with. Me do not hav much knowledge in that. :P

hi ahlim.

so ur into fowlr?

can also try sealife at balestier. fishes there are nice + eating already.

• SRC Member

hi ahlim.

so ur into fowlr?

can also try sealife at balestier. fishes there are nice + eating already.

Went there the other day, fishes there was nice, juz that the journey a bit far since I'm not driving. Prefer Pasir ris as 1 straight bus. :D

Now sourcing for a stand to put my quarantine tank....

:erm::erm:

• SRC Member

hi guys.

well here are my personal premixed food for my corals and fishes.

the formula are:

1-x factor

2-brine

3-mysis

4-cyclopeezee

5-spirulina

6-garlic juice

7-formula one pellets

8-seaweed

9-formula two flakes

mix all into the container and feeze it.

post-34-1189274144.jpg

• SRC Member

wonder is it ok if i also add coral5 in 1 liquid or marine snow in the premix?

will it spoil the quality of the original food?

lots of work to prepare this stuff but its definately easier when come to feeding.

ill just put a cube into the plastic food holder(refer to ealier pic) and let it melt. it will fload the tank in no time.

post-34-1189274376.jpg

• SRC Member

beside all those stuff i added do you guys think its ok to also add powder form zooplakton and plakto i my premix food..(sorry not too sure of the spelling)

so meaning beside the formula that i mentioned i mite want to add

10-5 in 1 corals food

11-marinesnow

12-zooplak(powder)

13-plakto(powder)

i also hv auto timer for pellets 3x/day for the fishes.

And bro... thawing and refreezing of food may encourage pathogen and bacteria growth... not worth the risk in my opinion :erm:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica