6FTS FOWLR DREAMLINER

MAG

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

another view...how often should i wash the collection cup?

You should clear and wash (especially the neck) as often as you possibly can... neck covered with a thick layer of gunk will reduce the skimmer's efficiency... that's why Deltec has this auto-neck-cleaner... having said that... it kinda draws the skimmer cup outlet valve redundant... just my 2 cents :nc:

Oh do remember to flush/wash the collection cup valve too... to prevent clogging :erm:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

i just cont to add bacteria liquid hopefully can spped up the cycling period.

see my skimmate..izit normal???

Bro I think your skimmate is normal for a cycling tank... however if you are adding bacteria periodically... you might wanna consider switching off your skimmer for a couple of hours prior to dosing so that your precious bacteria doesn't end up in your cup... best to check instructions on the bottle/box :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Good set up,keep it up. Please take addition precaution on ur extension plug especially the one behind ur skimmer. Wen skimmer cup s full tenancy water may gush out from the top cover small hole. Try to protect or cover up extensions plug.

• SRC Member
how about the ventilation hole at the bottom?

no color?

maybe you might wanna grow algaes there. put white light.

ha. the you'll have a blue circle and a white circle.

hi godzilla..

well at 1st i intended to grow chaeto but bcos my temp is high i got to kiv the plan.

did thought of the blue lite effect at the bottom glass panel but after awhile focus will usually be at the main tank..so that side not so important..

• SRC Member

You should clear and wash (especially the neck) as often as you possibly can... neck covered with a thick layer of gunk will reduce the skimmer's efficiency... that's why Deltec has this auto-neck-cleaner... having said that... it kinda draws the skimmer cup outlet valve redundant... just my 2 cents :nc:

Oh do remember to flush/wash the collection cup valve too... to prevent clogging :erm:

hi jervis yup ill do more cleaning of the cup when back fr trip next week.

whats the auto neck cleaner?

im still still pretty new in using deltex so still plenty to explore...

looking for connector for my o3 to be connected to the air valve..sm how i find that when i use o3 water looks much clearer. usually (old tank) ill auto on the o3 duri when my hse nobody.

mite 12use back the o3 at later stage..

• SRC Member
Good set up,keep it up. Please take addition precaution on ur extension plug especially the one behind ur skimmer. Wen skimmer cup s full tenancy water may gush out from the top cover small hole. Try to protect or cover up extensions plug.

hi marty..thx for the advise..alre inform tank maker abo this issue. i double chk it-holding tightly on the cabinet and usually ill clear the collection cup b4 it could reach 1/3 full.

whats the diff in dry and wet skimming?

whats the auto neck cleaner?

It's a gadget that wil brush your skimmer foaming neck controlled by timer (i suppose) :)

• SRC Member

Good day to all:

well just back fr trip and did h20 test:(about 2weeks of cycling)

specific gravity:1.026

temp: 32'c

ph:8.04

alkalinity:9.6dkh

ammonia:0

nitrite:0.05mg/l

nitrate:10mg/l

phosphate:0

calcium:450ppm

magnesium:540ppm(not too sure if i did the correct method2meassure)

will add bacteria liquid and distill h20 later. no dead fish yet.

specific gravity:1.026

temp: 32'c

ph:8.04

alkalinity:9.6dkh

ammonia:0

nitrite:0.05mg/l

nitrate:10mg/l

phosphate:0

calcium:450ppm

magnesium:540ppm(not too sure if i did the correct method2meassure)

will add bacteria liquid and distill h20 later. no dead fish yet.

Bro everything seems in check except for:

1) Temperature – some claimed that too high temperature will stunt bacteria growth... and to me 32ºC is a little on the high side. Why not kick start your chiller to test out the system... set to 29ºC will be good for the time being.

2) Nitrite – meaning your tank is still cycling... try not to introduce anymore new LS.

3) Magnesium – I suspect you didn't test it correctly. Are you using Salifert? You should at least get a reading of around 1200ppm (minimum).

Other than that... looks very promising :D

• SRC Member

Bro everything seems in check except for:

1) Temperature – some claimed that too high temperature will stunt bacteria growth... and to me 32ºC is a little on the high side. Why not kick start your chiller to test out the system... set to 29ºC will be good for the time being.

2) Nitrite – meaning your tank is still cycling... try not to introduce anymore new LS.

3) Magnesium – I suspect you didn't test it correctly. Are you using Salifert? You should at least get a reading of around 1200ppm (minimum).

Other than that... looks very promising :D

hi jervis..well chiller not in yet. not even the wave maker..told tank maker ill wait till tank fully cycle than i get the chiller. as for wave maker out of stock-so got to wait.

need to meassure the magnesium again cos the instruction given is abit confusing. will not focus too much in that reading cos my is still fowlr..was told mg and ca not so important.

just put back some fishes from previous tank. cannot stand the "messyness" of stuff all over the hse. i believe they will survive cos hell of tough nuts this batch of fishes..

post-34-1187452475.jpg

• SRC Member

another survival..

reason why im so astonished by this few fellows is bcos of their endurating survival lasting toughest...lost in words..

i transfered them into blue tud after i decom tank and they stayed in there for gosh cant remember how long wit only 1skimmer to support the system. than once tank ready i tranfered them to smakk home call stylo foam box and again supported by 1skimmer...all the time temp=31-32'c+

yet they survived..

post-34-1187453004.jpg

• SRC Member

this fellow got sick few times-not too sure the name of sickness but surprisingly managed to pulled thru..damn fierce..dont dare to put any same type of family into the tank..otherwise will surely kena whack by him...

we call him the "bully"

post-34-1187453146.jpg

• SRC Member

i have to put this two fellow in the sump-isolation area cos my intention is once tank fully cycled i intend to add scroll of yellow tangs..so dont want this two to be the big bully..wana add all together..

but of course all this adding will be very much later stage cos got to get my chiller and the rest of system running smoothly 1st.

post-34-1187453330.jpg

• SRC Member

last pic of the nite..my feeding station. sometimes ill feed the fishes with pre mix of stuff that i made into cubes. so its easier for the fishes to target and also prevent the cubes to be suck into overflow...

ill post the menu for my fishes next time..

also noticed my fishes colour are not so strong..well must be the stress from being "nomad" and also the temp(31+++)

post-34-1187453673.jpg

• SRC Member

Hey bro.... just read your thread. Haha seems like we are in the same situation huh regarding the chiller and cycling. :D

My tank is also about 31deg during the day when the lights are on and 29deg when off. I'll definitely need to get my chiller before any livestock goes in so this will be done hopefully by this week. For now, i've decided to switch off the lights to keep the temp low since there's not really a need for lights now.

Anyway, am surprised that your tank cycling is progressing quite fast.. considering its only 2 weeks old. My nitrate level was quite high last week when i tested it (25 mg/l) whereas yours is only 10 mg/l now. Any bros care to enlighten on why this is the case?

Anyway, keep up the good work bro. Everything looks good for now. However, maybe you might want to reconsider having the maroon clown in your tank. Its quite aggresive especially to new introductions and also esp territorial in my previous experience. True percs would be a good welcome change. :lol:

• SRC Member
Anyway, am surprised that your tank cycling is progressing quite fast.. considering its only 2 weeks old. My nitrate level was quite high last week when i tested it (25 mg/l) whereas yours is only 10 mg/l now. Any bros care to enlighten on why this is the case?

He used live rocks from his previous tank setup... although some bacteria would have died in the transfer process, there would be some which survive inside the holes and crevices of the rocks. This helps in speeding up the cycling process for the new tank.

When I set up a new tank and transferred my fish over from the old one, I didn't need to cycle at all since I used all my existing LRs.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".