nudi brunch

imooi2001

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

checked with henry and below is his reply as to if the sea hare slug is poisonous and release toxic

"Its absolutely mistaken. When stressd, the sea hare will release a harmless purple dye for defense. If sea hare die, it decompose like any other organism. only get high nutrient release which should be taken care of by the bio filter and skimmer"

moderator, not trying to flame anyone. purpose of www is people can share infos. perhaps henry can share more about this sea slug creatures with us . :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
hi saw some at aqua marine too. look like shrek, gt shrek ears!. read that its good cleaners for algae.

will it give out posion when it die?

those green ones are known as sea hares.. they feed on algae.. yes.. those colorful ones are a different type of nudibranchs and they feed on sponges..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
checked with henry and below is his reply as to if the sea hare slug is poisonous and release toxic

"Its absolutely mistaken. When stressd, the sea hare will release a harmless purple dye for defense. If sea hare die, it decompose like any other organism. only get high nutrient release which should be taken care of by the bio filter and skimmer"

moderator, not trying to flame anyone. purpose of www is people can share infos. perhaps henry can share more about this sea slug creatures with us . :rolleyes:

Will you risk? I wont. I prefer to believe researches and not LFS. Just want to be on the safe side.

BTW I disagree with his comments. If the sea hare has poison and died, where did all these poison go? Become nutrients? Any chemistry facts to support that? However I believe an oversized skimmer can help skimming little amount of poison in time.

The seahare is not poisonous from what i know... The purple dye that it release for defense is the same theory as what the octopus and squid use for defense...

And the diet of the seahare is mainly algaes... So they are not poisonous...

As for the other colorful nudi, they feed on corals... these corals will provide the nudi the "things" they need to produce poison for defense and deter predators...

Read up more on the seahare, they are not poisonous... i have kept countless seahare, haven seen them crashing my tank...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
The seahare is not poisonous from what i know... The purple dye that it release for defense is the same theory as what the octopus and squid use for defense...

And the diet of the seahare is mainly algaes... So they are not poisonous...

As for the other colorful nudi, they feed on corals... these corals will provide the nudi the "things" they need to produce poison for defense and deter predators...

Read up more on the seahare, they are not poisonous... i have kept countless seahare, haven seen them crashing my tank...

Octopus and squid's dye are poisonous. Read up here and they said its toxic:

http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Dis...=45&pCatId=2246

http://www.journalarchive.jst.go.jp/englis...1&startpage=927

http://www.auseco.com.au/?action=page.view&page=142

Terry, your sea hare havent released anything doesnt means they are not toxic.

I wouldnt have commented if i haven had personal experience with the seahare...

Have experienced the seahare releasing the purple dye, it only make the whole tank purple... :lol::lol::lol:

Dun have any problem with the other inhabitant in the tank... I dunno about others thou..

And those seahare that you show are a different species if i am not wrong..

The seahares we get here are Dolabella auricularia not the Aplysia punctata...

Member of:

• SRC Member

LFS here dont only import Dolabella auricularia but they will import all sorts. I think you shuld cheong more LFS then you will realized that they will get as much types as possible.

For what I know, releasing something that is useless is useless. No point releasing if that cant get the predator away. Perhaps it is less toxic for this species but it is still toxic. I would not risk at my point if there is something that is released.

Yea... Maybe perhaps less toxic... i mean for seahare so far i have only seen Dolabella auricularia... Other seahare species, haven seen much... but i agree they import all kind of nudi... From my limited knowledge, the dye is distasteful so it will deter the predator as they dun have speed to escape..

Member of:

• SRC Member
LFS here dont only import Dolabella auricularia but they will import all sorts. I think you shuld cheong more LFS then you will realized that they will get as much types as possible.

For what I know, releasing something that is useless is useless. No point releasing if that cant get the predator away. Perhaps it is less toxic for this species but it is still toxic. I would not risk at my point if there is something that is released.

i have seen Dolabella auricularia at henry's and non of the other types of hares which u had mentioned. Nevertheless, i used to own one and it died on me, without releasing any toxic dye or causing my system to crash. Yes, indeed, it is good to hv a skimmer that will remove all the toxin or whatsoever before it become worst.

Personally, i hv not see the hare "ink" and cant comment on it. Some senior reefers and sponsors here that i know, do keep them and had no problems with it. The hare probably "ink" if there is a predator, otherwise, it should be ok unless u keep disturbing it and poking it here and there.

As for ur comments on "If I am LFS, I sure say OK. Why I want to screw up my sales? " i would like to highlight two issues.

One,

LFS bring in both reef and non-reef safe LS to cater to different genre of clients. Lets give the benefit of doubt to the LFS that sometimes, it is confusing to really classify the LS especially when they really looked alike.

Two,

it depends on the integrity and knowlege of the LFS to share their knowledge.

Also, it is up to the reefer's responsibility to know what LS he/she is getting. Not sure, ask or look up before buying. if u suspect it to be otherwise, then look into the net first.

i was looking for apitasia-eating filefish and would hv been fool by the similarities of the filefish at his place if not for him to inform me that they are not really the one that i'm looking for and he still cannot confirm that they do feed on apitasia and whether are they reef-safe or not. I am grateful for such sharing coz imagine the horror i would get if i introduce a non-reef safe fish.

I cant say the same for other LFS but Henry does share info readily and does recommend his clients not to get the stuff if it is not healthy or not suitable for ur tank. I had on several occasions, pop in to view the shipment but he told me to hold the purchases coz for several reasons like too small, not stable etc... try not to generalise

As for the purchase of the seahare, most reefers use it to control the algae problem. as its main diet is algae, the lack of it will eventually cause its demise.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

i have seen Dolabella auricularia at henry's and non of the other types of hares which u had mentioned. Nevertheless, i used to own one and it died on me, without releasing any toxic dye or causing my system to crash. Yes, indeed, it is good to hv a skimmer that will remove all the toxin or whatsoever before it become worst.

Personally, i hv not see the hare "ink" and cant comment on it. Some senior reefers and sponsors here that i know, do keep them and had no problems with it. The hare probably "ink" if there is a predator, otherwise, it should be ok unless u keep disturbing it and poking it here and there.

As for ur comments on "If I am LFS, I sure say OK. Why I want to screw up my sales? " i would like to highlight two issues.

One,

LFS bring in both reef and non-reef safe LS to cater to different genre of clients. Lets give the benefit of doubt to the LFS that sometimes, it is confusing to really classify the LS especially when they really looked alike.

Two,

it depends on the integrity and knowlege of the LFS to share their knowledge.

Also, it is up to the reefer's responsibility to know what LS he/she is getting. Not sure, ask or look up before buying. if u suspect it to be otherwise, then look into the net first.

i was looking for apitasia-eating filefish and would hv been fool by the similarities of the filefish at his place if not for him to inform me that they are not really the one that i'm looking for and he still cannot confirm that they do feed on apitasia and whether are they reef-safe or not. I am grateful for such sharing coz imagine the horror i would get if i introduce a non-reef safe fish.

I cant say the same for other LFS but Henry does share info readily and does recommend his clients not to get the stuff if it is not healthy or not suitable for ur tank. I had on several occasions, pop in to view the shipment but he told me to hold the purchases coz for several reasons like too small, not stable etc... try not to generalise

As for the purchase of the seahare, most reefers use it to control the algae problem. as its main diet is algae, the lack of it will eventually cause its demise.

I think you have read it wrongly. This quote is not on Henry shop, but all LFS as I dont patron only one LFS. Its good too as he treats you well. As I had comment, it depends on individual and for me, I will not risk. Its like the case of itch. Some ppl just put the new tangs into the main tank without quarantine and OK. For my history, it wiped all my fishes out. I will not risk danger anymore.