Questions on Prata!

Salty_Creature

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I got some question about the pratas.

1) What is the Genus of the prata? Scientific Name?

2) I recently bought 2 pratas and i wrongly put inside them freshwater for 5 minutes. ;) Then all the white things like "sperm" (sorry for rude word :sick: ) come out. They lost their tissue and color. Only left is skinny bone and a few tissue. But I never give up on them and wait for their recovery. Now after a few weeks they got back their lost tissues (still recovering) but haven't got back the color yet (now all brown). My question is ~ Will they die slowly without their zooxanthellae or will they get back their color aka their zooxanthellae?

The following is the step by step pic of my prata..!

Experts! care to share with me! Thx!

post-70-1189152392.jpg

• SRC Member

Hmm urs a cynarina.Nm it's symbiotic algae came back.What is the colour when you first bought???Next time freshwater dip for 2 minutes onli.It's bad to put in for 5 minutes.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

LPS can NEVER be Fresh water dip bro !!

they expand by taking water into their Tissue , Fresh water will IMPLODE them , hence all the water slime or watever are those .

ITs amazing that u got the flesh back BOW DOWN to u bro !! :)

as for the colors , i take it as a case of breaching , place in low light till the color is no longer transluent and move to higher light while daily dose of iodine will help

my 2cent .

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

• SRC Member

hi.. bro angelfishlover, u mean it's cynarina and it's not prata? :blink:

I think cynarina will got the feeding tentacles at night, rite? mine don't have... when i give them frozen mysis, its mouth protrude and eat. When i first bought them, one is mix of a few color and another is white and green stripe.

hi.. bro VanDeam, i already got that lesson not to fresh water dip of any coral. :D Thx for ur input.

hi.. bro southpaw23, i always wanted to laugh when i see your nick. :lol: if u got any friend from Myanmar, ask the meaning of South Paw. I'm just kidding, bro. No offense. Now they are only eating the leftover food from my fishes. I'm planning to give them direct feed soon. :bow:

• SRC Member

You said you want the scientific name what.Scientific name is cynarina.Prata is what Singaporeans call it.Dam i thought can FW dip???I'm wrong.NM i'm still learning.Ya it looks bleach cause it is a bit transparent.It is getting back it's zooxanthellae and from it's original colour to brown.Just wait a moment for it to heal.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

His prata is cynarina.The scolymia is another species which people call it prata too.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

everyone just craze too much on pratas.

egg prata and kosong prata.

next we hear onion prata then murtabak comes.

Marine corals become Indian food.

:evil:

and now Salty_Creature adds sperm to his prata, :ph34r:

Guys pls dont confuse me la.

Well its good that your water parameter is good enough. It is recovering. It will be brown now but if your water parameters are excellent, you can see the colour will change back in a few months later. Next time dont ever freshwater dip your corals.

• SRC Member
everyone just craze too much on pratas.

egg prata and kosong prata.

next we hear onion prata then murtabak comes.

Marine corals become Indian food.

:evil:

and now Salty_Creature adds sperm to his prata,  :ph34r:

Guys pls dont confuse me la.

Well its good that your water parameter is good enough. It is recovering. It will be brown now but if your water parameters are excellent,  you can see the colour will change back in a few months later. Next time dont ever freshwater dip your corals.

OMG... It's not my sperm lah.. Even if i'm ###### addict, i won't do that to my prata.. :sick: haha.. They become horny when they touched to Fresh water.. :unsure:

The color will come back after a few month later? :pinch: Eeee.. So long.. Damn my mistake makes my prata suffer. :cry2:

• SRC Member

From the pic, I still see the bone sticking out.... it may be too early to tell whether it will recover fully or not.... (good things happen slowly while bad things can happen in an instant) While the bone is still showing, algae might grow at that spot (unless nutrients are under control) and if there is any tang, it will nip there... stressing it further....

Good luck Salty_Creature... I do sincerely hope u succeed.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

from the 3rd picture it shows its recovery but only brown. So I should not be worrying. There is no sunlight able to penetrate it if the sides had recovered and it had shadowed the lights to prevent algae growth. Now the only prob is to get it back to its original colour.

I think now is the most important to feed it regularly but not too much because the water parameters will be bad if feed too much.

• SRC Member

Take the advises! Thx!

Now it's still recovering and i can see very little of florescent green (for green one) and florescent spots of red (for the bi-color). Only can see color in macro mode. :lol:

A few day ago, i feed them with market prawn and they do like it. They size become bigger when it's feeding but the next day the size a bit reduce again to original size that before feeding. :unsure:

I will try to feed them once a week or once in two weeks. Lazy to go and buy market prawn and hate to peel the prawn shell. :(

• SRC Member
Take the advises! Thx!

Now it's still recovering and i can see very little of florescent green (for green one) and florescent spots of red (for the bi-color). Only can see color in macro mode.  :lol:

A few day ago, i feed them with market prawn and they do like it. They size become bigger when it's feeding but the next day the size a bit reduce again to original size that before feeding.  :unsure:

I will try to feed them once a week or once in two weeks. Lazy to go and buy market prawn and hate to peel the prawn shell.  :(

dont feed it too big size of meat or else when at night, it will spit it out. It will be a waste. Feed like the size of 5mm for every 3 days. If the mouth has a brownish sperm, LOL. dont feed. clean that sperm of yours and feed after 4-5 days again. I think it will get well back very soon. I dont think it has much damage.

the fluorescent cells mean damaged cells which are trying to recover.

you must be hardworking. only feed one coral, takes only minutes. I remember I used to spend 2-3 hrs feeding corals last few yrs ago. Usually I buy a pack of big prawns consisting 20-30 pcs.