matis shrimp

• SRC Member

:evil:

ya lah, mantis do makes those "clicking" noise.

For the past 1 week i eradicated 2 mantis shrimps and 1 hitch-hiker crab from my tank.

First mantis shrimp was caught when it popped out for a breather amongst my polyps. Saw it, quickly lifted up my polyps out of the tank, same time maintain visual contact of the mantis in case it slipped off to another rock nearby.

Flush it out quickly with fresh water, it was stunned for a while.

Quickly put my polyps back to the tank.

Thats where i slowly "drowned" the mantis in tap water,

but the bugger damn tough, still kicking after afew minutes. (so much for those who suggested FW dip).

So i boiled the bugger with hot water. :evil::evil::evil:

Then i had peace and gratification for the next few days until the damn "clicking" sound came back :blink::o:cry:

This time, i was on a stake out for a straight 2 hours infront of my tank, flooding it with RX food slowly and hopping for the bugger to come out.

And it did. I rushed to picked up the whole slab of rock and dashed to the sink.

Got the bugger out, spurt a dash of Mama lemon, hot water and then tap water.

:evil::yeah::pirate::nuke::whistle

meantime, the collateral damage was a crab which happens to be on that slab of rock.

Since that fateful day, my tank had been peaceful. No sudden deaths, no sudden disappearance of gobies and shrimps :D:D:D

• SRC Member
You sure your fish are dying becos of the mantis? You seen it with your own eyes... I can tell you alot of reefers here have heard clicking sound from their tank at night, mainly produce by hitch hiking pistol shrimp which are usually harmless ;)

Although i not too sure but from the sign i see the fishes before it MIA i assume it mantis. General there two type of mantis spearer and smasher, hitcher are usually spearer seldom we get smasher. The spearer will wait for prey to come near then spear it straight. From the body of those MIA fishes there have sign on the side of the body injured. It couldn't be fish attack cos fish attack fins. Still hearing the sound but can't see it coming out yet. I weak in this catching this cos i didn't notice a bristleworm in my tank for 2 years. This bugger is now 1 feet long liao but seem it did not attack fish i think it ok.

• SRC Member

Although i not too sure but from the sign i see the fishes before it MIA i assume it mantis. General there two type of mantis spearer and smasher, hitcher are usually spearer seldom we get smasher. The spearer will wait for prey to come near then spear it straight. From the body of those MIA fishes there have sign on the side of the body injured. It couldn't be fish attack cos fish attack fins. Still hearing the sound but can't see it coming out yet. I weak in this catching this cos i didn't notice a bristleworm in my tank for 2 years. This bugger is now 1 feet long liao but seem it did not attack fish i think it ok.

catch it la. then you make lai liu har or can sell to restaurant. LOL