Zoas losing colors

Reefzzz

• SRC Member

Hi guys especially those expert with Zoas..

It had been a few months since i finally discover my Zoas are losing its colors but the rate is slow. Only Zoas are affected. The rest of the corals as per normal.

Changes: Changing to a hamiliton 150W 14k bulb. Previous bulb is an unknown brand of 10K.

Water parameter as per normal as the SPS and LPS are doing fine.

The Zoas are still spreading but just that the colors are fading.

Any reefers experience this kind of situation.

All advise welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.. :thanks:

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor

• SRC Member
try to change the light to 10k

Thanks bro... was thinking of the same thing as well... :thanks: Hope it turns out well..

• SRC Member

bro , try iodine . :)

Anything thats red and u want the intensive put it high up , anything greenish lower . just remember that principal .

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

CR - Deltec pF601s Chiller - Arctica Titanium Commercial Chiller

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

• SRC Member

quoted from Julian Sprung , Reef volume 1 ,

cant remember exactly wat is spoken , but any thing thats in intense color , red , orange etc .. its cost they produce pigmentation to shield them from excess UV rays

thats a lay man explaination .. gonna read back and quote when free busy now lol : P

can come my place to see , placed 2 same zoo one high up one low down , using 150W mh , High up retain the color while the one at the bottom faded . and its just place in the middle of the tank Vs 2inch below surface . not sand bed .

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Skimmer - Recirculating Custom Beckett Fr - Skimz Fr Return - OR6500/1262 Wavemaker - Tunze 6060 x 2 Light - 2x5ft FL Blue+White

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

Skimmer - DeltecAP851 Fr - Skimz FR Return - OR6500 Wavemaker - 2xTunze wavebox +Ts24 Light - 3x250w MH + 8 ATi t5

3.5x2x2 REEF

Skimmer - HnS150-2001 Fr - Skimz Fr Wavemaker - Tunze Ts 24 Return - 1262 Lights - Solite 2x150W MH + 4 Ati T5 CR - Skimz CR NR - Nr1000 Chiller - Arctica Titanium 1/5

• SRC Member
quoted from Julian Sprung , Reef volume 1 ,

cant remember exactly wat is spoken , but any thing thats in intense color , red , orange etc .. its cost they produce pigmentation to shield them from excess UV rays

thats a lay man explaination .. gonna read back and quote when free busy now lol : P

can come my place to see , placed 2 same zoo one high up one low down , using 150W mh , High up retain the color while the one at the bottom faded . and its just place in the middle of the tank Vs 2inch below surface . not sand bed .

how deep is the one that had faded? and is it 10k,14k or 20k mh?

• SRC Member
bro , try iodine . :)

Anything thats red and u want the intensive put it high up , anything greenish lower . just remember that principal .

Bro, i dose iodine everyday. My routine never change. I check all my parameters weeks after weeks but all are fine. I also conclude that if the SPS are fast, there can't be any issues with the water parameters.

I will change back to the 10k to see if the condition improve. I had change to the 10k bulb for about 4-5 mths already. The effect of discoloration is slow for my case and did not take notice of it initially.

Thanks for your advise.. cheers

• SRC Member

Perhaps time is need to tell whether the 10k bulb bring back the fading colours.... Do give us some of your drawn conclusion in time, ok?

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

reeftask !! u come my house so many time u never notice , bo steady leh , next time u come remind me to point to u :) .

yeah reefzz time will tell , i got some books on zoo lend u if u drop by any time to check out ur mangrove ..

cheers.

6x2x2.5 FOWLR

Chiller - CL650

4x4x2 SPS

3.5x2x2 REEF

• SRC Member
I will change back to the 10k to see if the condition improve. I had change to the 10k bulb for about 4-5 mths already. The effect of discoloration is slow for my case and did not take notice of it initially.

Opps.. I meant to say that i had change to 14k bulb from my previous 10k bulb for 4-5 mths already.

Hi Kareen, sure.. Will check if there are improvement in the zoas after i change my bulb. I hope it will be better.

Bro Vandeam, thanks for the offer of your books. Will drop by if i have the time..

• SRC Member

Opps.. I meant to say that i had change to 14k bulb from my previous 10k bulb for 4-5 mths already.

Hi Kareen, sure.. Will check if there are improvement in the zoas after i change my bulb. I hope it will be better.

Bro Vandeam, thanks for the offer of your books. Will drop by if i have the time..

Anything else u've change? If not, then likely the cause.... 14k or 20k bulb looks pleasing to our eyes but in term of spectrum, they are out of the sun's specification.

My tank is near the balcony and about half of it have daily "sunbath".... It's true that I get a bit more algae from it but I do notice that corals seems to be 'happier' than those didn't. My MH bulb is 14k.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• 4 weeks later...