turbo snail

hi,

I wonder why all my turbo snails i bought found dead the next day or won't last more than 3days. I had tried twice, each batch contain of 5 snails but each time the result is the same <_<

Any bro got encounter same problem? Pls adv, tks.

• SRC Member

yeah, many yrs ago, eaten by other snails, caught right handed.

now I only keep turbo and they had produced so many small ones. some went into the overflow and some in my sump. But my sump has nothing and sooner or later they will up to heaven

Not eaten or attack by other snail as i got only turbo snail. All dead after a day or two after bought from shop. The 1st day look normal to me as they all are cleaning up my tank but second there none of them move. I quickly take all out n all smell of rotten seafood. I bought again second time n same thing happen so i stop buying.

• SRC Member

what else died and didnt die in your tank? If all fishes OK, means your water parameter has something wrong. What type of fishes in your tank? If your snails had overturned, they wont be able to turn back and will die off. Only the very tiny babies able to turn back as their shells are still very light.

Mmmmm........10 turbo snails die with shell not facing upward n 1 nemo. After that incident i changed 1/4 of the water n yet 1 chromis dead. I got 6 chromis, 1 reef lobster, 1 seacucumber, 1dottyback, 1 banana wrasse, 1 blue damsel, 1 eibli pygmy angel, 1 clam, 2 nemo.

I currently using tap water to top up water......maybe contribute to the problem??? There is an outbreak in my tank full of the red slime algae patches on my live rock n sand n brown algae on the glass....... <_<

Is this the reason?

• SRC Member
Mmmmm........10 turbo snails die with shell not facing upward n 1 nemo. After that incident i changed 1/4 of the water n yet 1 chromis dead. I got 6 chromis, 1 reef lobster, 1 seacucumber, 1dottyback, 1 banana wrasse, 1 blue damsel, 1 eibli pygmy angel, 1 clam, 2 nemo.

I currently using tap water to top up water......maybe contribute to the problem??? There is an outbreak in my tank full of the red slime algae patches on my live rock n sand n brown algae on the glass....... <_<

Is this the reason?

Snails are sensitive to ph.... (chk out yourself, this is just my experiences)

Ur lists kind of long leh... don't know your tank size so..... judge yourself.... Remember the poo's and CO2 will depress ph a little unless well maintained.

Also, some wrasses eat invert such as snails... ensure yours don't.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Is this the reason?

Red slime algae means your tank Live Rock are very new or during transportation when you buy, the bacteria will die off if left too long without water. Thats the main problem. Your LR bacteria is not enough to breakdown the ammonia yet. Do check ammonia.

• SRC Member
ok will do.......by the way my tank side is 3x2.5x2.8 so i don't think i over stock it yet :lol:

yeah, depends how much LR you have. One kg will make that overload, LOL. Joking.

I considered you have enough LR too and see that the stocks are not overloaded too. If you have ammonia/nitrite problem, it can be solved easily, just buy from LFS bacteria solutions. But bear in mind that when the bacterias are doing the job, nitrate will go up. Only old and stable LR can help you that.

If he have an ammonia or nitrite problem... All of his fishes and the sea cuke would have been died by now... Haha...

the snails most probably died of ph shock or sg shock.. Be sure that you have not used any copper medication or have high nitrate... they are very sensitive to these...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

i see......maybe u r rite bro, ph or nitrate prblm. I not sure live rock enough or not (4 big pieces about 18kgs) n 2inches of sand in the tank n also in the sump. Is it not enough? :blink:

The amount of LRs will not equal to low nitrate... You will have test for the nitrate, and deal with it according... by doing water change or have DSB or Plenum System... The former will decrease the nitrate gradually, but having the latter will help you to convert nitrate to nitrogen using the anaerobic bacteria in the sandbed... But your sandbed should be at least 3 inch deep or more and it will take sometime for the sandbed to mature... if fast, ard 6 months else will take more time...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

fishes are more tolerate to ammonia than snails. SG shocked, LOL. I dont think so. He should have measured that. As copper, this is not a quarantine tank so who will put copper in to kill sea cucumber and snails? Furthermore, copper kills worms and there is no sign of worms dead. Snails wont die of high nitrates. Nitrate and LR are two different things. LR is only a house for anaerobic bacterias. DSB is another way to reduce amount of LR. 6 months wont stable down the anaerobics bacerias. It takes at least 2-3 yrs with enough amount of LR and DSB. DSB is also depends if your tank has sand shifting animals. If disturbed, anaerobics bac wont grow. They grow in very very low oxygen places. 3 inches of DSB is useless as they need at least 4-5 inches to grow anaerobics. I think you have to research some readings. Low pH will kill sea cucumber and others too. If prolong having low pH, fishes will go up lorry also.

Slime algae will cover the LR and makes the LR unable to grow bacteria. You can find this fact in the interrnet.

18kgs of LR is totally not enough. Minimum is 1kg LR/gallon. Furthermore, your tank is growing slime algae and thats the prove that not enough bacs and.....

Terry, have you sold all that small zoos? I also suggest you to increase your LR to reduce your algae growth and water changing.

mmm...from what u guys mentioned, i think i gotta add sand til 6inches deep. As for the live rock i got to wait til i got the budget 1st :lol:

tks for all ur adv bro.....u all indeed a gave me a lot help n info.

Get rid of ur lobster and banana wrasse. hey might be the cause. Lobster catches fish oso.

bro,

i don't think so leh.........never caught them bitting the snail and also the banana wrasse i bought it after 10 turbo went to heaven :P .....as for the reef lobster don't think got the strength to lift up the snail n bite them after that close it back lol......

• SRC Member

bro,

i don't think so leh.........never caught them bitting the snail and also the banana wrasse i bought it after 10 turbo went to heaven :P .....as for the reef lobster don't think got the strength to lift up the snail n bite them after that close it back lol......

It might be lots of reasons. Do you want to employ CSI Investigators? If yes, pls ask my boss Kenneth and he will arrange someone over. Perhaps me? LOL. Just joking.

I still think your ammonia spike.

It might be lots of reasons. Do you want to employ CSI Investigators? If yes, pls ask my boss Kenneth and he will arrange someone over. Perhaps me? LOL. Just joking.

I still think your ammonia spike.

:D ..........lol yeah hor never think of that. Okey next time i got any dead fish, will look for u guys kekekekeke

to bro totorofurby,

nope, other than turbo snail no other types