Snails

• SRC Member
Help, suddenly see lots of baby snails in my tank. Is it a good or bad thing? Should I pick them out one by one before they grow up? Really no experience with this, bought the mother snail to eat algae. Not even sure if they are snails as they don have Shells.

Baby snails is OK. Even small, they have shells. I have more than a hundred in my tank and only 2 adults.

• SRC Member

Yup, turbo snails. But they really small lah. No shell yet. So many all over my glass eating algae. I was worried that they would become pests later when they grow up. :P

Funny, my turbo 1mm size also have shells. Dont worry, these snails wont be pest and wont disturb your corals. Big ones sometimes can disturb corals.

When the lights off, they will come out to feed and I sometimes will lift the ones near the IOS filter to throw them to the other end. This is because I realized they went into my sump and nothing to eat there.

Funny, my turbo 1mm size also have shells. Dont worry, these snails wont be pest and wont disturb your corals. Big ones sometimes can disturb corals.

When the lights off, they will come out to feed and I sometimes will lift the ones near the IOS filter to throw them to the other end. This is because I realized they went into my sump and nothing to eat there.

Just wondering, is it possible for snails to leave their shells and move about without shells?

• SRC Member

Just wondering, is it possible for snails to leave their shells and move about without shells?

I dont know. I dont think they will leave their shells because thats the only protection they have. Hermits do leave shells but not snails. I think snails are stucked with the shells so thats why the shells will grow with them.