Epoxy

hongqixian

• SRC Member

I want to expoxy 3 suitably live rocks together so as to make them into a solid structure for a 2ft tank. The live rock will be epoxied on as small an area as possible so as not to kill off too much stuff. Can anyone recommend a good brand of aquarium safe expoxy and what are the directions for use?

I use HoldFast Epoxy Stick...by Aquarium Systems. Will bond and cure underwater.

Mixes in one minute. You have approximately 7 mins to work with it before it hardens. Within 30 mins, the epoxy becomes hard. Within one hour, you can sand, file or drill it.

One stick costs me $28.

It leaves a sticky oily residue on your fingers.

Yes, the residue is similar to plasticine.

Can be washed off.. but you still get the icky feeling...

Alternatively, you can try Aquapatch wet surface epoxy putty from Wessbond from hardware shops. Only $5 for a small stick. Exactly the same as holdfast, but of course the assurance that its reef-safe is not mentioned.

I bought my Holdfast from Sealife.

• SRC Member
Yes, the residue is similar to plasticine.

Can be washed off.. but you still get the icky feeling...

Alternatively, you can try Aquapatch wet surface epoxy putty from Wessbond from hardware shops. Only $5 for a small stick. Exactly the same as holdfast, but of course the assurance that its reef-safe is not mentioned.

I bought my Holdfast from Sealife.

Maybe I can wear plastic gloves, really dislike the feeling. I think the structure still might not be stable enough if I just sit it in the middle of the tank, so I've decided to get a piece of the heavy plastic for covering tables or similar and epoxy the base of the rock to a piece cut small enough to fit in the tank. Sand will be added on top. That way the structure should be stable and the tank will be left unharmed...I can just remove the rock stuck to the plastic should I need to.

• 3 years later...