Sump Design

piero

• SRC Member

Why do u need this piece of glass? There will not be any sand at the first compartment so IMO no need this piece..... without that piece of glass, DO will be more likely to be suck in easier by the skimmer pump.

post-9-1193708917.jpg

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Hi Piero.. you might wanna check your skimmer's spec on the optimal water height for operation... cos that might impact the baffle height.

• SRC Member

just my 2 cents... ;)

and 1 more thing i think the glass beside the the blue circle is quite redundant unless you are telling me that you are going to put sponges there to reduce micro air bubble.. :)

post-9-1193904368.jpg

• SRC Member

Well, this is my thought....

Why do u want to put skimmer outside? I will put it inside if I have a choice....

1) Better skimmer motor power when water is pump at ground 0 with little or no loss due to the elbow

2) no worry of leakage..

of course in sump at a location where simple maintainance easily....

Do u think there will be a sand storm at the sand where water is pass thru? For this, I'm not sure but I know energy is been 'eaten' as the distances goes on and on... and the sand will somehow being blow in a way where it is 'most stable' after a while....

• SRC Member

Not sure if you know how the APF 600 skimmer works.

Its a NW recirculating model where the pump is attached to the skimmer body. An additional pump feeds water to the skimmer. Anyway I am currently running out of sump cos I dun like the idea of having too many pumps in the sump, raises water temperature. Another reason is I am going to pay for a space in the sump which is going to blocked up by the skimmer, not worth it. Price between a 2 ft and and 3 ft arcylic sump can differ from $100+ up to $200.

As for the refugium part, with the 2nd and third piece having the same height, water actually skims the surface and no sand storm will be caused. Shd not be too big a problem.

Also opted for a quick release for my two pumps, easier for mantainence.

• SRC Member

Why arcylic if it is going to be more expensive? Afterall it is going to be just a sump....

Well, even using two motors where one as feeding while the other bubbling, at ground 0 also mean more water is going into the chamber with less loss... unless APF 600 skimmer feeding pump is with an elbow design....

k... just airing my view only.... :P

• SRC Member

aryclic cos my glass one broke. There are many equipments in the sump and sometimes a slight knock and it can crack the glass...Now not very comfortable with it.

For feeder pump, its always too strong as a feeder pump, actually divert it to a FR..

Thanks for the comments though.

• SRC Member

If arcylic is more expensive than glass, then personally I think using arcylic is kind of waste 'cos sump material can be anything like plastic.... Arcylic is better than glass in the sense that u get to view the true colour of corals....

Well, my sump glass is just the usual 6mm thickness.... and so far still alright... I think part of the reason is that I have a little more space at one side to take things in and out of sump without the bumping and dropping the equipments down on the glass.... (the slant design)

• SRC Member

Oh ya.. if sump capacity is of concern to hold the volume of water that is going down when the return is off.... a little cal on volume should give you the confident. Eg.

length * breadth * height ( take the variable height duing ON/OFF return) then use the same concept to the sump. I have about another bucket of water (25litres) of allowance into the sump even after the return is off.....

• SRC Member

No problem on back flow.

I have drilled a hole at the return pipe just at the output. When pump is off, air will come in through the hole and stop the back flow. Just a bit of water comes through.

Thanks for all the help.

I think the design is flawed and the workmanship on my old sump is poor to start with. I did not even hit it hard lor... Just trying to remove a return pump and a slight twist at the return pipe where the hole is drilled for the external pump and a huge crack (10 inches) appeared.

I will consider an aryclic tank the next time I change my tank. I think there are other benefits of using an aryclic sump tank including better isulation from heat gain. Yet to benefit from it. Will update when I install the sump later this week.

• SRC Member

what make you think that aryclic stands a better chance than glass? IMO, the chances of it cracking again is there 'cos every hole we drill on the panel is a weak link that will deter further due to aging.... unless leaving untouch... The best way is not having any hole on sump wall for pumps 'cos pump do need some clean up every now and then.... or there is a deteching mechanism so that no force is required to pull the pump apart from the pipe.....

Every mistake is a lesson learn..... :P

• SRC Member
what make you think that aryclic stands a better chance than glass?  IMO, the chances of it cracking again is there 'cos every hole we drill on the panel is a weak link that will deter further due to aging.... unless leaving untouch...  The best way is not having any hole on sump wall for pumps 'cos pump do need some clean up every now and then.... or there is a deteching mechanism so that no force is required to pull the pump apart from the pipe..... 

Every mistake is a lesson learn.....  :P

Yup, paid for a quick release tap for the external pump this time rd. Quite ex for just two taps.

Arcylic is supposedly stronger than glass for the same thickness, at least that is what I gather from all my reading.

And pumps are placed externally to reduce heat transfer from pumps to water, thereby decreasing the need for chiller to kick in frequently.

• SRC Member

This is from a website that I read:

Acrylic aquariums have a number of advantages over glass:

Special seams make them less likely to leak. (Very important to me. Last leak on my glass sump cost me my whole carpeted area in the living room, cost much more than a acrylic sump).

They are stronger and more flexible than glass making them more likely to withstand earthquakes and children. (Impt - strength needed to prevent future breaks/cracks)

Scratches can be removed or lightened. (Not too sure of this)

They can be designed into multiple shapes and have rounded corners. (Not impt to me)

They are more insulated, requiring less energy to maintain temperatures. (Impt - helps to reduce chiller bills)

They are lighter making them easier to transport and set up. (Impt - only me and my wife at home and she does not have the strength to help me move things)

They are clearer than glass. (Yes but not impt to me)

Many have a lifetime guarantee. (Not in my case)

• SRC Member
This is from a website that I read:

Acrylic aquariums have a number of advantages over glass:

Special seams make them less likely to leak. (Very important to me. Last leak on my glass sump cost me my whole carpeted area in the living room, cost much more than a acrylic sump).

They are stronger and more flexible than glass making them more likely to withstand earthquakes and children. (Impt - strength needed to prevent future breaks/cracks)

Scratches can be removed or lightened. (Not too sure of this)

They can be designed into multiple shapes and have rounded corners. (Not impt to me)

They are more insulated, requiring less energy to maintain temperatures. (Impt - helps to reduce chiller bills)

They are lighter making them easier to transport and set up. (Impt - only me and my wife at home and she does not have the strength to help me move things)

They are clearer than glass. (Yes but not impt to me)

Many have a lifetime guarantee. (Not in my case)

Thank you for the info :D . It is very true especially for a decent return requirement that is less than 30watts is hard to get.... Can take a pic of the tap so in future when my sump give way, I can consider the tap design? :angel: