cyclopee vs high no3?

MAG

• SRC Member

Dear all.

wonder does feeding corals with cyclopee often contribute to high no3?

i understand that some ppl will off their skimmer or return pump when feeding the corals but will it spoil the pump or skimmer if we do that often?(say once aday)

also if i premix cyclop+seaweed+brine+mysis+spirilina to feed corals can i also add marine snow or 5in1 corals food into it and make cubes food?

thx.

it could but if your system is well balanced, it shouldn't be a worry.. at the most, you'll see an increase in algae growth or worse, cyanobacteria aka slime algae.

I switch off my pumps multiple times a day so you shouldn't worry if you get good quality ones.

You can add whatever supplements you want into frozen food, should be ok.

• SRC Member

Also I will like to add that without rinsing the frozen mysis or brine shrimp cube, u can add a little less of "whatever" 'cos these frozen cubes normally have added vitamins.... The ingredient list are on the packaging....

The key thing is that one must know how to balance the water quality and feeding..... with "technology" or filteration....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

hi achilles tang and kareen.

Thx for the info.

Reason why i ask is bcos due to my work that requires me to travel i usually likes to prepare all the premix food so that my wife can easily feed the corals&fishes without goi thru the troubles of meassuring the quantity.

Thx.

• SRC Member

Underfeeding is better then overfeeding for someone who is not familar.... Water quality is the main key to look out to prevent any chain reaction if u know what I mean....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
Underfeeding is better then overfeeding for someone who is not familar.... Water quality is the main key to look out to prevent any chain reaction if u know what I mean....

I'm also a supported of under-feeding. :P

Feed them only once a day, water cleaner, they live healthier.

:D

• SRC Member
for, i feed the fish twice a week and coral once a week.

hi clownfish88.

did i read wrongly-you only feed 2x/week for fishes and once a week for corals?

may i know how many fishes you hv?

what do you feed your corals with?

• SRC Member

i use auto feeder 2x/day. use to auto feed 4x/day but shall follow the advise i rec here to reduce feeding.

in the auto feeder i add pellets + cyclop so beside feeding fishes,corals also got food.

beside that ill also included lectuce for tangs.

when im in sin ill also feed fishes+corals with my own premix food(cube form)

cube=cyclop + brine + mysis + plankt + zooplak + seaweed + marine snow + spirilina + garlic juice.

anything else i can add to my premix cubes?

• SRC Member
Mag Bro,

Your powerful skimmer should be able to handle your feeding.no worries la. lol

hi honzo.

well at 1st i thought so that i can rely on my api702 but to my shocking discovery, my no3 was 50-100ppm(salifert test kit)

i was guilty of it cos of over feeding(wana make my yellow tangs fat fat)

no wonder at that time suddenly sm corals started to show their skeletons..

i added this product(IN SUMP) called MATRIX which i was told good to the reef system-can help to reduce no2&no3&po4.

also i added iwarna addictives/top up liquid (dripping method)into my sump.

i like to add all this biological/chemical filteration products in sump to further help improve my system.

• SRC Member

Mag, better dont overfeed, its not good if your system is not established. Protein skimmer will help only on particles that are not digested in the water and those proteins in the water. But skimmer wont help you on NO3 which are digested in the water. You need anaerobics bac to help you on this. There is no short in getting rid of NO3 in marine/freshwater. I had tried many products but all are bluffs but there is one that really get rid of the NO3. Its AZNO3 but it is also very costly to use it permanently.

Another way is adding nice chaetos/mangrooves but if you overfeed, they cant help you much too.