Artica Chillers - 1.5HP - Energy Consumption

robe

Calling all Artica Owners and other chiller brand owners!!!!

Please check how much power does your chiller's consume when its at rest in between running periods. You will need a clamp meter to do this.

I measured my new Artica 1.5 HP chiller and found out that it draws 0.2A of current at rest .

Artica at rest alone is using 46 watts of power.

For a period of 30.5 days average per month the total power consumption for the chiller at rest is 22.5 khw. (16 hours/day on standby)

The chiller when running draws ~5.8A of current. The total power consumption when running (8 hr/day) adds up to 325 kwh per month or $68.25.

The total power consumption per month on 1/3 duty rating (1/3 run 2/3 off) is 347.5 kwh or around ~$73 per month.

This will give you a view on how much you pay for cooling your tank.

My clamp meter is a Megger MMC850.

(Note: my tank has 800 watts of lighting )

Robe

On a another note, it is good to put your chiller on an area where the air temperature is cool as the chiller is more efficient. My chiller consumes only around 3.4 A when air temperature to the condenser is 28 C while it draws 5.8 A on a warm day where air temp is hovering around 32 C.

Robe

Thanks bro Robe for the analysis... yeah any of our electrical appliances should not go on standby mode as it consumes electricity too. 1/5th of all power consumed by the Americans are from their standby appliances.

To save energy, you can consider using a Computer system (for my case Aquatronica) to totally deactivate the chiller. When the temperature triggers the computer, the computer will switch on the chiller. When at rest, the computer will switch off the chiller completely buy cutting its power supply.

Hope this helps :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Robe!

Long time no see and a warm welcome back!

Glad to see that you're still as technical as ever and thanks for sharing!

I had no clue that my Artica chiller was drawing that much electricity even at rest.... hmmm.... how much is that in dollars and cents?

AT