need information on clams

shiok

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.... mature clams don't need phytoplankton to survive (meaning clams above 2 to 3 inches wide). Anything smaller are considered as juveniles and required regular feedings of live or frozen phytoplankton till they get larger. The bottled invert food is of dubious quality most times.

Clams should be given as much light as possible for them to survive.

For most clams to feel secure & protected from predators attacking from below such as large bristleworms, you can place them on a flat rock and once attached naturally via byssal threads (DON'T GLUE THEM ONTO THE ROCK!), you can move them up to any part of your rock structure for good lighting.

• SRC Member

I have just had my first casualty. My green clam is dying. It was placed on the bottom on the substrate for 1mth since I got my MH and the past few days have refuse to open. I had 3 clams placed together at the bottom. I have a BLV 250watt MH on the 3ft. The clams were doing very well till recently. The other two is still doing great and has been moved to higher ground.

When I finally removed the dying clam to investigate, I found a couple of britle worms on it. I suspect it's the culprit. Poor precious clam. May you rest in peace!!

Have anyone had the experience? Wonder if moving it onto the rocks will stop it from being attacked by the worms. Getting worried that I might loose another one. Help!! The one on the right. Now it doesn't clos and is withering away. :cry:

post-6-1069320798.jpg

I have just had my first casualty. My green clam is dying. It was placed on the bottom on the substrate for 1mth since I got my MH and the past few days have refuse to open. I had 3 clams placed together at the bottom. I have a BLV 250watt MH on the 3ft. The clams were doing very well till recently. The other two is still doing great and has been moved to higher ground.

When I finally removed the dying clam to investigate, I found a couple of britle worms on it. I suspect it's the culprit. Poor precious clam. May you rest in peace!!

Have anyone had the experience? Wonder if moving it onto the rocks will stop it from being attacked by the worms. Getting worried that I might loose another one. Help!! The one on the right. Now it doesn't clos and is withering away. :cry:

I don't think the culprit is the bristle worms, it came to feed on your clam as they already sense that the clam is dying thus they do what they suppose to do, cleaning up the dead parts like scavenger

Hmm.... mature clams don't need phytoplankton to survive (meaning clams above 2 to 3 inches wide). Anything smaller are considered as juveniles and required regular feedings of live or frozen phytoplankton till they get larger. The bottled invert food is of dubious quality most times.

Clams should be given as much light as possible for them to survive.

For most clams to feel secure & protected from predators attacking from below such as large bristleworms, you can place them on a flat rock and once attached naturally via byssal threads (DON'T GLUE THEM ONTO THE ROCK!), you can move them up to any part of your rock structure for good lighting.

Reminds me of my thread on gluing flame scallops...lol :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

DP I also not sure but the bristle worms quite big and I have read that some can attack clams. but I also do know. cos the clam looks fine with plenty of light. Just stop opening one day. :pinch:

very unlikely too.... i have seen big bristle beside my clam before and nothing happen, most liekly a disease, or already having not enough lighting but you never notice or maybe even due to your water parameter ;);)

• SRC Member

I also confuse. My water: PH-8.2, salinity 1.024, temp 25.8-26.4, NO2 0, NO3 10ppm (need water changed liao), NH4 0. Lighting provided by 1 x 250watt BLV 10000k MH placed bout 6inches from the water. Weekly dose of seachem reef advantage, reef builder, reef plus, reef trace. Marine now twice weekly. :whistle

Also I noticed some white spot on anothe clam. Is this normal?? dont tell me clam also can get marine ich?? out of the two remaining ones, the one that was bought with the dead clam is showing spots while the other (from rainbow offer for $30) is looking very healthy, open big big and looking more colorful then when I bought it. Please let me know if the one with spots is normal or problem and will it affect my healthy one?? I have heard that there a disease among clams that can wipe them all out. is that true?? ;)

Oh G*D! Have mercy on my clams!!! :cry:

I also confuse. My water: PH-8.2, salinity 1.024, temp 25.8-26.4, NO2 0, NO3 10ppm (need water changed liao), NH4 0. Lighting provided by 1 x 250watt BLV 10000k MH placed bout 6inches from the water. Weekly dose of seachem reef advantage, reef builder, reef plus, reef trace. Marine now twice weekly. :whistle

Also I noticed some white spot on anothe clam. Is this normal?? dont tell me clam also can get marine ich?? out of the two remaining ones, the one that was bought with the dead clam is showing spots while the other (from rainbow offer for $30) is looking very healthy, open big big and looking more colorful then when I bought it. Please let me know if the one with spots is normal or problem and will it affect my healthy one?? I have heard that there a disease among clams that can wipe them all out. is that true?? ;)

Oh G*D! Have mercy on my clams!!! :cry:

I think that clam dun get ich

can i know its manifestation? wat's its onset like? and wat ways to prevent it cos i am interested to start a clam tank.... :D

Think so far there isn't anyway to cure the clam disease... The clam disease will spread to other clam(if i am not wrong) and usually its not from your water quality but actualy the disease is brought in by an infected clam(hey expert out there correct me if i am wrong)

• SRC Member

how to glue them??? use wat glue...

i using t5

2x24watt ... i think not strong enough for them to survivel..

if i glue them what if they die ???

where to get those glue... ??? will it release toxic to the water ???

what brand ... and what type of glue...

thanks AT for your reply...

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

how to glue them??? use wat glue...

i using t5

2x24watt ... i think not strong enough for them to survivel..

if i glue them what if they die ???

where to get those glue... ??? will it release toxic to the water ???

what brand ... and what type of glue...

thanks AT for your reply...

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

hehe tis i know :D ... they the clam naturally attach themselves once they are comfortable with the position... after which you must removed them together with the rock so as not to tear its byssal gland...

you can read more about clams from this website i found :yeah:

here