need information on clams

shiok

• SRC Member

Hi! i would like to know any information regarding keeping clam...

wat does it means when you guy say blench? How 2 know if my clam is healthy? i read from some where that clam generate their own food when there are bigger, is a abt 4" clam consider big?

btw i am using 1 t5 18w white & 1 t5 18w blue in my 2ft tank is this enough for my abt 4" clam? must i increase my lighting?

thanks in advance.... :D:lol:

ah... seen alot of clam pic in tis forum... how do you guys choose ur clam ha?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how must light must i increase? white or blue?

where can i get this phytoplankton?

how to know if the clam is healthy?any signs?

if the clam doesnt like the position i sit it, it will shift its position right?

increase the white portion..clams generally come from shallow waters, they dun need the blues that much..

DT phyto...get from our sponsor edmund at eaquanature..

yes..it will shift position to face the light in the most favourite direction...while there is not enough light...it is using its body fat to survive ..when no more fats....you will see it dying in your tank..by then too late, precious clam no more... :(

• SRC Member

so if i increase another t5 18w light and place it at the rock nearer to surface is it enough?

pls explain wat do you mean when you say body fats? its opening big from wat i see... is it all right?

is DT phyto liquid? is it direct feeding?

so how must light must i increase? white or blue?

where can i get this phytoplankton?

how to know if the clam is healthy?any signs?

if the clam doesnt like the position i sit it, it will shift its position right?

Try to provide as much light as possible....go for MH if you can.

Alternative is to put in as much T5 as you can squeeze on top of the tank.

As for feeding, you can get live phyto from the sponsor or from most LFS under the brand name DT.

Health of clams is diffcuilt to judge...see that they don't over extend their mantle, colours not fading or faded, intake siphon open too wide etc..............it also depend on the clams species and the original colours too.

Clams cannot move like scallops but can shift its position but this is limited. You can always tell whether it like the position is that it put sticky thread to the LR to anchor itself.

• SRC Member

Yup of course you should off the lights at night.. You should expose them to lights for likr 10 to 12 hours a day I think.. That's what I do lah..

And I think as long as their colour doesn't fade and they open up well enough they would seen pretty healthy to me...

And yes clams will shift themselves to the best position they possibly can to get as much light as possible and they will stay in one position if they're happy.. But of vourse they're movement is limited..

Here's a tip and what I do.. try to place the clam as high up in the tank as possible facing the light directly.. Yup.. It should be happy then..

BUT if you really love clam and wanna keep alot of them at their best, then do go MH.. they'll love you for it..

actually meant to keep it as fowlr... but cant resist the beauty of clams...so now will save up to buy more light and then more clams....

btw wat must i keep...any type of coral to help generate food for the clams?

IMo if yuor clam is big enough, it can solely depend on light for its food

Hi! i would like to know any information regarding keeping clam...

wat does it means when you guy say blench? How 2 know if my clam is healthy? i read from some where that clam generate their own food when there are bigger, is a abt 4" clam consider big?

btw i am using 1 t5 18w white & 1 t5 18w blue in my 2ft tank is this enough for my abt 4" clam? must i increase my lighting?

thanks in advance.... :D:lol:

ah... seen alot of clam pic in tis forum... how do you guys choose ur clam ha?

Hi,

T5 does not come with 18w. I guess yours is T8 FL. T5 FL usually comes with 24W for 2Ft. and 39W for 3Ft. You can check it out from

our sponsor Edmund. Thanks

• SRC Member
:off:

Is the filter of the tank rely on the 2 hanging filters? Is yes...err...... :shock:

I think many will start to share their knowledge on increasing the filter system for you.

:P

yes i am using that for my filtering cos i didnt intend to keep much livestock... juz going to add 2-3 fish mayb 2 more tube worm(i hv 4 now) n when i increase my lighting another 1-2 clams... ;)

• SRC Member

Hi,

T5 does not come with 18w. I guess yours is T8 FL. T5 FL usually comes with 24W for 2Ft. and 39W for 3Ft. You can check it out from

our sponsor Edmund. Thanks

my isnt the original type of t5... got it fm a lfs near some camp...made in china type...

:off:

Is the filter of the tank rely on the 2 hanging filters? Is yes...err...... :shock:

I think many will start to share their knowledge on increasing the filter system for you.

:P

Hey there are many people who have success in using hang on filter for thier nanos