Clams control Nitrate?

babareef

• SRC Member

Hi guys do clams help to control nitrates, phosphate and even Ph? If it's true, is there a rough guide as to how many clams I need in my 4x2x2 tank of mostly LPS? I keep jewels,prata,brains and zoas. At the moment I have 2 clams.

Any advice and info most welcome.

:thanks:

i have 6 clams in my 100 gal tank they do control nitrate to some extent my nitrate are less than 5 ppm my sytem is skimmerless sps system but down side is your calcium and alk go down so fast in matter of days if u have cr then its ok i am planning to have atleast 8 clams , IMHO nitrate in tank also depends on how many fish u have, how often and how much u feed stuff like that :rolleyes:

My old tankMY reef my world

20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. udaya

• SRC Member

Thanks for the reply bro. I'm okay with losing cal and alkalinity within days cos I've found a way to boost them back. My alkalinity at the moment is already depleting within days. My nitrate is always on a high side so I might buy more clams. Thanks for the advice.

• SRC Member

Bro u r running sps with no skimmer? WOW. Amazing man. Do you think your calcium and alk go down fast becos of the 6 clams or by your corals or combination of both?

i have 6 clams in my 100 gal tank they do control nitrate to some extent my nitrate are less than 5 ppm my sytem is skimmerless sps system but down side is your calcium and alk go down so fast in matter of days if u have cr then its ok i am planning to have atleast 8 clams , IMHO nitrate in tank also depends on how many fish u have, how often and how much u feed stuff like that :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Bro u r running sps with no skimmer? WOW. Amazing man. Do you think your calcium and alk go down fast becos of the 6 clams or by your corals or combination of both?

Sure combination of both.SPS suck in a alot of calcium and KH and when i mean a lot it is super a lot.Test wif API Kh from 16 now 13 DKH.Calcium form 440-460 in a matter of weeks.That is if you keep only one colony if u jkeep mre than 5 it is good to invest CR.I am so :off:

girlone.png

• SRC Member

So do you think SPS is more calc and alk demanding than LPS?

Sure combination of both.SPS suck in a alot of calcium and KH and when i mean a lot it is super a lot.Test wif API Kh from 16 now 13 DKH.Calcium form 440-460 in a matter of weeks.That is if you keep only one colony if u jkeep mre than 5 it is good to invest CR.I am so :off:

• SRC Member

yes. Look at the way SPS grows...it would definately suck up more calcium and carbonate then any other corals. Clams do take up nitrate, but to depend on them to control nitrate might not be practical. i know in the early days there are reefers with 'clam' sump, but didn't quite pull down nitrate that much.....even i have 8 large clams before and i did not notice any significant pull down in NO3 over time. I would suggest instead to depend on more tradditional methods to keep nitrate down:

- Deep sand bed

- Refug

- Berlin method with support strong skimmer

- Zeovit

- even sugar/volka....:D :D :D

with correct application, any of the above should work nicely....no need to try anything fanciful.

• SRC Member
yes. Look at the way SPS grows...it would definately suck up more calcium and carbonate then any other corals. Clams do take up nitrate, but to depend on them to control nitrate might not be practical. i know in the early days there are reefers with 'clam' sump, but didn't quite pull down nitrate that much.....even i have 8 large clams before and i did not notice any significant pull down in NO3 over time. I would suggest instead to depend on more tradditional methods to keep nitrate down:

- Deep sand bed

- Refug

- Zeovit

- even sugar/volka....:D :D :D

with correct application, any of the above should work nicely....no need to try anything fanciful.

how abt considering denitrator..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Thanks bro tineng for the advice. I already have a H&S skimmer which is super good and a refugium with 24/7 light so I guess that's good enough. I'm just looking at improving any way I can.

:thanks:

- Deep sand bed

- Refug

- Zeovit

- even sugar/volka....:D:D:D