T5 Lights

CMY

• SRC Member

Hi friends,

I bought a 2feet Dymax T5 from Aquarama recently. The tubes are 2x 20 watts and i find them not as bright. Just went to buy 2 arcadia

T5 tubes 24 watts (10000K) marine white to replace the Dymax ones.

Do I need to replace the electronic ballast as well, as I read in some other thread that a Osram E-ballast is needed to drive the T5 tubes.

The Arcadia T5 tubes works when put in and look much brighter as well. So the question is : do I need to replace the ballast?

Need your expert advise fellow reefers. :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

Dun bother, the eballast included in the orginal Dymax does not show the wattage it can support. I have DIYed and changed the eballast to an external one tat can support from 36W-40W, btw my is the 3ft dymax. Can support 39W T5 like ATI, Acardia..... :yeah:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

hi jd_n, i had bought 2 set from them, not to the requirment, so though of changing to ATI, since you had DIY the eballast, can you tell me where to get it and how much it cost, of cse, if you dont mind, show me some pic, so that i would had a rough idea o how to start off with.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Thanks very much for advise.

The Dymax light set bought from Adec during Aquarama. Arcadia tubes from Pet*ar* or you can get ATI T5 tubes from eAquanature.

So I guess still need to change the eballast to equvalent of 2x24 watts, tho it looks quite bright now with the existing ballast with the new tubes. :rolleyes: