how does canister become nitrate factory?

Hecter

water flowing to sump is oxygen rich to a certain extent. hence the need for a Deep Sea Bed

the name gives itself away. up to six inches worth of compacted sand, that when deep enough, produces an environment that is oxygen starved. hence the anaerobic state is produced when the sea bed is deep enough. (=

• SRC Member

But if you use acanister filter with a DSB, will it aid to reduce nitrates as well?

And about the nitrate minus product, does it work well with a marine tank? Any other experiences here? I'm thinking of using it..

How long must we clean a canister filter if we're using it? Every six months?

Thanks for all the advise..

• SRC Member

Come to think about it, there are actually ways to reduce the nitrate output from a canister. It really depends on what you put inside - what I can think of will be Seachem's Matrix, or polyfilter wool. BUT, there is a heavy downside to using these filter medium - they are going to be one of your heavy overhead expenses as they can't be reused once exhausted. And they get exhausted very fast. A sump with a DSB will definitely be better in terms of nitrate reduction efficiency & also cost-saving in the long run. :)

There is also another product available in the market which claims to reduce nitrate as well. Biohome. Can't really comment on this as I have not try out this product - maybe the users of Biohome may be able to help to contribute?

Hecter is rite about the cleaning of canister filter (one month recommended). :)