clown fish questions

• SRC Member

hi bro,

clownfishes naturally will host anemones, but it also depends from cases to cases..

infomation like, what clownfish is it? and what anemone is it?

my clowns host even in zoas and mushrooms, so it really depends..

btw, anemone needs good water parameters and will harm other corals when they move around.. it is not advisable to get an anemone just because u want ur clownfish to have a home, usually ends up being a disaster, haha i've been there and done that when i was new to this hobby.. hope u dun make the same mistake as me last time..

looking forward to more infomation bro.. cheers..

• SRC Member

Hi there! Accordingly to my limited knowledge......i read somewhere before that different types of clownfishes will accept different types of anemones....not all anemones are suitable for the type of clownfish you have. Just be care of where your anemone moves and make sure they stay well away from any powerheads.... :) My true percs used to stay around my anchor corals.

My Newbie Tank Thread

My Blog

All pics taken with CanoN!~

• SRC Member

hi jonny,

the anemone will stay alive for a few days at most, even in bad conditions..

you should test out ur water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.. and also, what lights are u using..

it'll help sustain ur anemone in good health..

• SRC Member

hm.. 15V? or 15W, anyway its still not enough for an anemone..

for 2ft tank, ppl normally use T5 high outputs (HO) which is 24W per tube.. and ppl normally use at least 4tubes..

take some time, do some reading up, and invest.. slowly.. :)

so wat do i need to do??

please give me some tips and steps to follow.

oh ya its 15W.

and i heard from a reefer i need to change my skimmer and lights and filter.

do i really need to change everything?

really hope i can be sucssesful in reefing so please give me some advice and steps to follow

Thanks.....

• SRC Member

hi jonny,

yes definitely, what is important is lighting, skimming, and bio filtration..

you need to upgrade lighting to maybe 4x T5, skimmer depending on ur tank, skimmer prices ranges from $10 to $1000 for 2nd hand.. of course, value for money..

and read up here regarding sump tanks, LRs, refugium etc..

good luck bro.. :)