Digitatas not doing well

• SRC Member

Hey guys,

I find it weird because all my sps are doing well except my digis. I am sorry however as I dont have the pictures of my digi but will post asap. The problem with them is simply the fact that the polyps are not extending and I cant find out the reason why. Seriously puzzled man.

Some parameters of my tank

PH : 8.3

KH : 10

PO4 : 0.03

NO2 : 0

NO3 : 0

Calcium : 400

Magnesium : 1350

Lights : 6 X T5

I run 1 X TS07, a M620 and a M820

Its really weird because digi is supposed to be one of the easiest sps and the funny thing is my acros, millis are all doing well and growing my the digis just cant seem to survive.

Puzzled Reefer

• SRC Member

From advanced aquarist

[email=http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature2]Advanced Aquarist Feature Article : Montipora Digitata

Water motion is difficult to quantify so most hobbyists must rely upon visual indicators, with polyp expansion and movement probably the most common. Interestingly, too much and too little water motion can cause corals to retract polyps. Too much will of course deform the polyp and perhaps cause shearing or tearing of soft tissues. On the other hand, a coral can recognize too little flow and after a prolonged period of little water movement, it realizes it is not catching any food and will retract polyps in order to conserve energy (Sebens, 1997). (Too much lighting will also cause some corals to contract their polyps to protect themselves and their zooxanthellae from excessive light. This is sometimes indicated by expansion of shaded polyps while those exposed to light are retracted.)

Fortunately, providing sufficient water motion is not the challenge it once was. Some of the newer propeller pumps on the market can potentially provide sufficient water movement along with low electrical consumption (see Riddle, 2007 for details).

Correct water motion is indicated by polyps gently rocking in the currents

• SRC Member

Maybe you have too much flow blasting at the Digis?

According to that article, kH should be maintained at 9.0-9.5, but I keep min 10.2 to 10.6 in my tank, and the digis are growing, extending and colouring well.

Hey guys,

I find it weird because all my sps are doing well except my digis. I am sorry however as I dont have the pictures of my digi but will post asap. The problem with them is simply the fact that the polyps are not extending and I cant find out the reason why. Seriously puzzled man.

Some parameters of my tank

PH : 8.3

KH : 10

PO4 : 0.03

NO2 : 0

NO3 : 0

Calcium : 400

Magnesium : 1350

Lights : 6 X T5

I run 1 X TS07, a M620 and a M820

Its really weird because digi is supposed to be one of the easiest sps and the funny thing is my acros, millis are all doing well and growing my the digis just cant seem to survive.

Puzzled Reefer

Bro, it might just be placement prob.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
i also having the same problem at the moment for my new digitata... do let me know if the new placement of coral has help..

Do you have other digis in the tank? Or its just this specific new digi thatsn ot doing well? I think it helps a little. I dont think digi can take flow thats too high or any form of direct flow

• SRC Member
i do was one more digitata in my tank for like mths..but that one is doing fine showing polyps but the new frag that i got it not opening at all... i got three frag of it,all place in diff location but all dont seem to open.

One of mine has polyp extension already but the other one still not opening as well. Oh well i guess maybe in your case its not stbale yet?

• SRC Member

hi bro, in my experience, digitatas tend to go well with lower light, however, i do notice the purple onces are really hard to keep, the green ones are much much easier and orange the easiest. try different flow and diffeent placement, and watch your water as well, those pesky algae love to grow on digis, my 2 cents haha

• SRC Member
hi bro, in my experience, digitatas tend to go well with lower light, however, i do notice the purple onces are really hard to keep, the green ones are much much easier and orange the easiest. try different flow and diffeent placement, and watch your water as well, those pesky algae love to grow on digis, my 2 cents haha

Hey bro, thanks for your advice man. :) Thats what i am trying to do now. There is some extension already, just hoping that the digi is stablising and yes it requires really lower light man