Help on Keeping Angels

Hi guys,

Just started on marine fish 2 month ago my tank is a 4*2*2 with canister filter, UV and a prizm hang on skimmer. cycle the water for a month and started adding in fish, at first all seem fine, till 2 weeks ago my angels started to die 1 by 1 now i am left with only 1 yellow, blue, sailfin, sohal, and purple tang in my tank, the tang all seem fine and eating well. before my angel died i notice they have white fungus like thing on the body any the eye will also turn white like cover with fungus, after that 2 days later it would die. i have already lost 1 king, queen, blue face, flame,emperor,asfur,three spot angelfish and a paddle Wrasses to this fungus thing. my water is fine as i test it once every week. there is also some hard and soft corals in the tank.

any bros out there can help. :(:(

• SRC Member

Probably quarantine issues or stress.

King and Queen angels are finicky eaters.

I've bought Queens from PacMarine before and they did not even make it for even 1 day in my quarantine tank. Was a small 2 inch Queen that PacMarine claims has already been in the tank for 1 week.

Suggestion is to change water and don't overfeed. Stop buying any fish till the symptom goes away.

Some angels are not easy to keep and it require a bit more experience when choosing the healthy fish. Queen angel suppose to be hardy (some foreigner even used it to cycle tank) but i can't even get it to stay alive for more than a mth on 2 separate occassions and finally give up. And like u said.. all other fishes are ok.

btw, u are keeping quite a lot of fishes in your 4 footer? And all can potentially become huge!

• SRC Member

yah.. king angel... the inhabitants in your tanks do have the potential to become big... and they are quite a few of them...

also, the deaths could have been due to the increase in bio-load that causes some spike in NH3, No2 and NO3...and the fish might not be able to take it.. or has it been bullied?? was the water quality suitable for the fish? those could be the main reason why the fish did not survive even the first day inside your tank.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.