What happens if u overfeed?

acce

Hi,

Was wondering what happens if u over feed your fishes and what is considered as overfed?

Would like to hear some of your views, was wondering if i overfed my fishes? :unsure:

My tangs have budge stomachs.

I thought fishes likes small feeding severals times per day???

They will develop atherosclerosis due to atheromas..possibly die of myocardial infarction. Feeding too much will lead to your fish having too high cholesterol levels. Can lead to Alzheimer's disease...imagine having forgetful fishes. :lol:

Think I've been mugging too much for exams.. B)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Fishes can never be overfed. :D They are eating monsters!

The best is to feed them small meals a few times daily. I believe in good quality food rather than quantity feedings. Give them vitamin and protein-packed food and not just empty carbohydrates.

Myth: Feeding live adult brineshrimp is very good.

Fact: Live adult brineshrimp are nothing more than 'potato chips' for fishes if they are not first fed with phytoplankton to make them 'carriers of high protein'.

For home aquariums, I believe you should not overfeed your tank unless you have an oversized filtration system to cope with the increased metabolic wastes, phosphates and the decomposition of uneaten food.

Just as long as your fishes are stout (a bloated stomach is not a sign of health)... look at the head, it should not be hollow/sunken in just behind it.

Fishes like tangs will bloat when they have just eaten and their stomachs will shrink as quickly when they have digested. I read somewhere that only a small percentage of their food is digested before it is pooped out. ;) Perhaps that is why you can see tangs eating other tang's poop coz there is a still a high enough level of vegetable matter in them... yummy? :huh:

AT

:thanks:

Been feeding krill, spirulina, formuale 2, garlic soaked brine & mysis daily. Ocassion dried seaweed. (Red bamboo in tank - tangs favourite - they devour in no time)

Is it enuf?

My 3ft tank is overcrowded - 22 fishes, i know AT gonna scream at me.

7 tangs, 2 firefish, 2 purple head goby, 1 golden head goby, 1 puffer, 1 cowfish, 1 mandarin fish, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 six line wrasse, 2 maroon clowns, 1 coral beauty, 1 golden angel and 1 flame angel. :P

err.... also 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 fire shrimp, 6 nails.

I realise my gobbies eats nothing else except mysis & brine, so is that sufficient??

overfeeding will be more concern on your ammonia load.

NO3, doubt so.. yet.

If you got enough LRs, huge tank, don't worry abt feeding, but to prevent your fishes to becomes too fat.

Like human, overfeeding may like to pollution of water. just drop what they can finish in 5mins. that's the rule, however my tank, whatever amount of food I dump in, all done n clean up in 3mins.

"Ready... get set.. drop food..!!"

It's 3 x 2 x 2.5 height.

I always feed more becos' afraid others slow eaters may not get enuf of food.

Ammonia is 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20

Was thinking of geting the I-box to get up a refugium.

Currently running on 2 canister.

It's 3 x 2 x 2.5 height.

I always feed more becos' afraid others slow eaters may not get enuf of food.

Ammonia is 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20

Was thinking of geting the I-box to get up a refugium.

Currently running on 2 canister.

wat u can do u place some food at far place from your usual feeding "ground". the agressive fishes will noted it, n swim there.

while they are occupied, quickly drop some food at your usual feeding place, the mild fishes will get their chances to eat.