Recommended smallest tank size - nano?

Softice

Hi bros / sis

Any sucessful smallest size for SH tank?

understand height play a more important role for SH tank.

1. What is the shortest height i can go with - (in mm please as i am a matric person lol) -

2. What about lenght and depth.

3. I will keep only the most a pair of SH only.

4. Anyone with picture of his/her set up to show?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

IF you REALLY only want a pair of seahorses, a 1.5ft tank with tonga branches and some red bamboo, hang on filter, regular water changes - because of their feeding habits - will foul the water so quickly - then 1.5ft is okay. I have 6 in a 1.5ft setup - similar. height of 1.5ft is about 12 inches.

Hi bros / sis

1. What is the shortest height i can go with - (in mm please as i am a matric person lol) -

Thanks in advance

Regards

Softice

IF you REALLY only want a pair of seahorses, a 1.5ft tank with tonga branches and some red bamboo, hang on filter, regular water changes - because of their feeding habits - will foul the water so quickly - then 1.5ft is okay. I have 6 in a 1.5ft setup - similar. height of 1.5ft is about 12 inches.

Thanks cdckjn,

are skimmer and sump required for such set up?? i might not have a space for a sump

i currently have 150w MH, 2x24w PC(i think), a not so good skimmer.

can also message me a picture of ur set up?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

hi i believe for seahorses lighting is not a major concern unless u are planning on keeping corals in the tank. Whats more impt is the equipments that would help to maintain your water parameters... thus a good skimmer is impt and if possible u shld have a slump to increase the water vol and for filtration...

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I managed to keep a pair of sh in a 1.5l bottle for a month due to a tank failure. Wad I do believe is that there's no minimum height and length. As long as the horses can swim around freely and comfortably, that's the smallest tank size you should go for. The total water volume and filtration capacity plays a more important role as it affects the concentration of biological wastes/ chemicals and the temperature fluctuation. Hope this helps.

Hi bros / sis

Thanks in advance

Regards

Softice

• SRC Member

Hi Softice Bro

Wish you success.

I intend to custom made a SH tank too. Planning for a 1.5ft * 1.5ft * 2ft (height) with sump. Heard inorder for the SH to mate, they need 2ft height for the mating dance. You may wish to read more about keeping SH from other links.

All the best.