Suitable pumps for Skimmer

Can I get some advice as to what kind of pumps, or which brands, are suitable for use with skimmers? And also, how do we know which pump capacity is suitable for use with my skimmer? ie. does more powerful pump = higher skimming effectiveness?

• SRC Member

ha.. we need to know type and model..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Which skimmer u using???

Second to Iceman.

In order for senior reefer to advice, they will need to know the made and model.

May be you can also search the web to find out from the manufacturer of the skimmer web site. Too high a flow may not allow the skimmer to skim anything and will cause micro bubbles effect back to your sump/tank.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks bros for the advice.

based on comparison between MD55 and rio pumps, i've bought a Rio 20HF which has comparable pump rate to that of the MD55.

I've got 1 more question though... i fired up my skimmer last night, but found that the flow rate of water into the skimmer was significantly lower than when the pump was working without the skimmer. Microbubbles etc were fine. On estimate, the the flow rate of water into the skimmer was about 40% of the usual flow rate had the pump been working freely on its own (with head loss factored in)... ive dismantled my skimmer to check, the mechanism that is inhibiting flow rate seems to be a black device that allows the mixing of the air-water intake. No pipe blockage anywhere in the skimmer also.

I'm not sure whether beckette models are meant to work in this manner, just concerned whether my skimmer would be working at maximum efficiency. Could anyone experienced with beckette skimmers help advice me on this?

That's perfectly normal for a Beckett. Just make sure you dismantle and clean out the Beckett assembly completely during your regular maintenance, incl. the air intake part.

I'm not sure whether beckette models are meant to work in this manner, just concerned whether my skimmer would be working at maximum efficiency. Could anyone experienced with beckette skimmers help advice me on this?

thanks bros for the advice.

based on comparison between MD55 and rio pumps, i've bought a Rio 20HF which has comparable pump rate to that of the MD55.

I've got 1 more question though... i fired up my skimmer last night, but found that the flow rate of water into the skimmer was significantly lower than when the pump was working without the skimmer. Microbubbles etc were fine. On estimate, the the flow rate of water into the skimmer was about 40% of the usual flow rate had the pump been working freely on its own (with head loss factored in)... ive dismantled my skimmer to check, the mechanism that is inhibiting flow rate seems to be a black device that allows the mixing of the air-water intake. No pipe blockage anywhere in the skimmer also.

How far away the pump from the beckette skimmer?

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

How far away the pump from the beckette skimmer?

there's a head loss of about 1.3m, rio20 should still be able to give reasonable pump power with that amount of head loss.

anyway my skimmer is giving me the problem of not producing fine bubbles, the bubbles just shoot straight up to the water surface in the reaction chamber, can't seem to control the air intake part, cos even though i've closed the air tap, bubbles are still forming... probably a air leak somewhere :pinch: gotta try solve the problem... my skimmer giving so much problem :unsure:

• SRC Supporter
there's a head loss of about 1.3m, rio20 should still be able to give reasonable pump power with that amount of head loss.

anyway my skimmer is giving me the problem of not producing fine bubbles, the bubbles just shoot straight up to the water surface in the reaction chamber, can't seem to control the air intake part, cos even though i've closed the air tap, bubbles are still forming... probably a air leak somewhere :pinch: gotta try solve the problem... my skimmer giving so much problem :unsure:

The Rio HF 20 would not function to your requirements as your skimmer's placed too high. You will need a pressure rated pump in the likes of MD 55s in this case.

Check your beckett housing lid.. it might not be secured properly result in air being sucked in when running.

HTH